tips to beating depression

tips to beating depression

Author
RaihanGeorge1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)

Group: Forum Members

When you feel depressed try not to spend your time alone. Spending your time alone is always something that can make you more depressed.
Edited
16/01/2014 by RaihanGeorge1
markhenry599
markhenry599
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95 reputation)Supreme Being (95 reputation)Supreme Being (95 reputation)Supreme Being (95 reputation)Supreme Being (95 reputation)Supreme Being (95 reputation)Supreme Being (95 reputation)Supreme Being (95 reputation)Supreme Being (95 reputation)

Go to your friends and family members whenever you feel that you are going in to depression. Never leave alone and follow a new habit like singing, dancing, anchoring, workout etc. All these things will help you to stay from depression. Share everything with your parents and do not hide anything with them.
AnnaSandtriane
AnnaSandtriane
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (309 reputation)Supreme Being (309 reputation)Supreme Being (309 reputation)Supreme Being (309 reputation)Supreme Being (309 reputation)Supreme Being (309 reputation)Supreme Being (309 reputation)Supreme Being (309 reputation)Supreme Being (309 reputation)

My doctor told me to exercise even if I'm feeling down because it'll cause my brain to release endorphins. Whilst it's hard to motivate myself when i'm that low, i must say it does work!
Jasmin Dee
Jasmin Dee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (93 reputation)Supreme Being (93 reputation)Supreme Being (93 reputation)Supreme Being (93 reputation)Supreme Being (93 reputation)Supreme Being (93 reputation)Supreme Being (93 reputation)Supreme Being (93 reputation)Supreme Being (93 reputation)

Here is a list of things I do everyday to beat depression:
  1. Get in a routine.
  2. Exercise.
  3. Eat healthy.
  4. Get enough sleep.
  5. Challenge negative thoughts.
  6. Try to have fun.
  7. Check with your doctor before using supplements.

Mason
Mason
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

RaihanGeorge1 - 15/01/2014

When you feel depressed try not to spend your time alone. Spending your time alone is always something that can make you more depressed.

You don't always have that choice, I've tried asking friends over at times, usually to be told no. I get out a lot and that helps but it's not the same as human company.

GongDad87
GongDad87
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)

Hi all,
Being a sole parent, with limited support and working fulltime, I have dealt with my fair share of depression and burnout over the years.

Here are a handful of my favorite methods for managing my depressive episodes.
1. Eating healthy, home cooking, less take out.
2. Going for a run/ walk or lifting weights at home. It can be a monumental effort to actually get out and do it, but without fail, this has consistently elevated my mood every time. And as a bonus occasionally a fellow runner will say hi or have a brief chat which is nice.
3. Organising the home for success, throw junk, wash bed linen, simplifying washing and cooking routines. Anything to help relieve stress in the home.
4. Reading positive self help books. I have a large stack of books, which i purchase from book shops when feeling especially down. When i wasnt working fulltime, I would visit the local library. The relevant topic book tends to jump out 'when browsing.
5. Writing out my problems. I write my problems down on paper, and then analyze a way to tackle them one by one. This brings a sense of control and relief.
6. Vision board. Basically trawl the internet for pictures of things I want and collage it all in one place. The home I want, the wife I want, the car, holidays, career, everything! It is nice to dream sometimes, and then work towards getting those things you want. Can be very uplifting and bring a sense of hope.

che_32
che_32
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (854 reputation)Supreme Being (854 reputation)Supreme Being (854 reputation)Supreme Being (854 reputation)Supreme Being (854 reputation)Supreme Being (854 reputation)Supreme Being (854 reputation)Supreme Being (854 reputation)Supreme Being (854 reputation)

GongDad87 - 14/07/2017
Hi all,
Being a sole parent, with limited support and working fulltime, I have dealt with my fair share of depression and burnout over the years.

2. Going for a run/ walk or lifting weights at home. It can be a monumental effort to actually get out and do it, but without fail, this has consistently elevated my mood every time. And as a bonus occasionally a fellow runner will say hi or have a brief chat which is nice.
3. Organising the home for success, throw junk, wash bed linen, simplifying washing and cooking routines. Anything to help relieve stress in the home.
4. Reading positive self help books. I have a large stack of books, which i purchase from book shops when feeling especially down. When i wasnt working fulltime, I would visit the local library. The relevant topic book tends to jump out 'when browsing.
5. Writing out my problems. I write my problems down on paper, and then analyze a way to tackle them one by one. This brings a sense of control and relief.
6. Vision board. Basically trawl the internet for pictures of things I want and collage it all in one place. The home I want, the wife I want, the car, holidays, career, everything! It is nice to dream sometimes, and then work towards getting those things you want. Can be very uplifting and bring a sense of hope.

I agree with your methods. Good list! Overcoming depression isn't easy as it requires a lot of patience and hard work. At the end of the day, only you can help yourself. 
sunstone
sunstone
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

I think that this is really relevant. A lot of people are suffering depression these days, in fact, HealthDirect states that it is a mental health condition affecting a lot of people. I read it here. https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/depression

My daughter's friend killed himself a few days ago due to depression. He's been doing it over and over again for the past year, drinking pills, slashing wrists and all - he survived. But last week, the evils in his mind succeeded. 19 years old. What do they know about the hardships in life that may want them to kill themselves? 
I always equip myself in reading materials because I want to know what our children may face as problems while growing up. Like this one , about anger issues. https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/anger/what-to-do-when-you-have-anger-issues/ Depression can also manifest anger feelings. I didn't know that! This is so hard to grasp. 
I had a talk with my children and told them how much i love them, how much they mean to me and to the people around them and that how much worthy they are as individuals. It may be a bit over the top but I am also thinking of family counseling. My son's OT said it is a great thing to do. Sigh. I am emotional right now.
skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)

GongDad87 - 14/07/2017
Hi all,

Hi GongDad87, 
I really loved reading your guide lines above , good advice !!!!
Yes they do work and its amazing how trying a few points do really uplift the mood. 
Open the windows , breath fresh air, feeling the sun warm rays does wonders .
Even buying a fresh bunch of flowers (bright colours ,smell amazing )really uplift the room .
Sometimes the darkness creeps in our thoughts ,but one has to train yourself to notice the feeling's
that arise , change that trail of thought. Get out and explore the beauty of Mother nature ,
even seeing the trees moving slowly in the wind makes you feel part of it all. Love and hugs
LOL LOL yes i know sounds hippy ,but we all need to stop ,breathe and still ourselves in this era
of madness . Take your shoes off and walk on the grass and feel connected !
Sit in a huge park on a sunny day and just look around that those amazing huge old trees!
Smile Kind Regards Skatergirl08

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)

Mason - 07/04/2017
RaihanGeorge1 - 15/01/2014

You don't always have that choice, I've tried asking friends over at times, usually to be told no. I get out a lot and that helps but it's not the same as human company.

Hi Mason, 
When you are feeling low take the little one and yourself to the local playground ,snack box and drinks (water)
and spend time enjoying the outdoors , maybe twice ,three times a week . Before you leave home 
(buy some nature lemongrass aromatherapy oil(natural not manmade )and burn in a oil burner for 10 mins.)
(be at home when you do that) do not go out with it left on. It will uplift the mood .
Eat lots of salads (low sugar intake) grill fresh produce ,everyday basic cooking . 
Mop the floor with hot water and a small drop of Bosistos Eucalyptus oil (open all the windows )
to dry the floor fast . Gives lovely fresh uplifted vibe and good for cleaning. DO NOT ADD TOO 
MUCH TO THE WATER AS YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO STAND IT>  1 Drop use an eye dropper.
Try that for a week and see how you feel ! I will be surprised if you don't feel better ,
make it a routine of yours each week . Sometimes people we have around us can make the problem 
worse ,you will have to slowly uplift yourself ,takes time but worth it. You are a young Parent 
good on you sticking to it and read read a lot of self help books ,work towards" POSTIVE THINKING "
you are doing a fantastic job as a Parent trying to cope it it. 
Keep well and let me know how you go Smile
Kind Regards Skatergirl08 Smile

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search