3.5 year old extreme behaviour

3.5 year old extreme behaviour

Author
ink3
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Our 3.5 year old son has always been very strong willed, the last few months his behaviour has become quite extreme, he HAS to be the first to do anything, the winner, the best at everything, always has to have things done his way - very little to no compromise. He is socially very shy, he goes to childcare 2 days a week and some days he won't say a word the entire day while other days he will be super chatty. He is also like this with his grandparents whom he sees very often, some days he wont say hardly a word to them and other days he is talking non stop. If things don't go his way all the time he loses it, tantrums, screams, cries, stops talking and makes baby grunting noises. I'm not sure if this is all part of being a pre-schooler or if we should take him to get checked out. About 12 months ago we did see our local GP but were told it was just a parenting learning curve for us Sad Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated please x
skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
ink3 - 17/04/2018
Our 3.5 year old son has always been very strong willed, the last few months his behaviour has become quite extreme, he HAS to be the first to do anything, the winner, the best at everything, always has to have things done his way - very little to no compromise. He is socially very shy, he goes to childcare 2 days a week and some days he won't say a word the entire day while other days he will be super chatty. He is also like this with his grandparents whom he sees very often, some days he wont say hardly a word to them and other days he is talking non stop. If things don't go his way all the time he loses it, tantrums, screams, cries, stops talking and makes baby grunting noises. I'm not sure if this is all part of being a pre-schooler or if we should take him to get checked out. About 12 months ago we did see our local GP but were told it was just a parenting learning curve for us Sad Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated please x

Hi ink3
Would your Son be the only Child the family?
If yes ,sometimes Only Child have problems sharing ,playing with others and want attention from everyone around them. 
I found Social Play Groups to be good , this way the Child gets practice playing with others " Mine turn ,your turn" games 
work well  (Grandparents can join in too ) i did try the Fishing game (Reject shop had them ) a few dollars. They have in the kit 
a fishing Rod and some coloured fish that you try and pick up on the end of the stick. My Son used to crack it when he had 
to wait his turn and if he didn't win "WELL YOU KNOW " MELTDOWN ". This game used to help him" LEARN " that its not all
about him and teach him to wait his turn". Great Game "
Sometimes Children like us feel like not talking ,or maybe he feels a bit upset to tell you whats on his mind. 
Make up some MOOD FLASH CARDS and get him to show you how he feels. You can Google them on line Free 
then print them out, cover them with some sort of laminated plastic . Get him to start to talk about his feeling and how 
was his day at Kinder !. 
If he is having a hard time at Kinder maybe look into a "Time out soft pop up tent." K-mart or Big w sell them. 
You can add some plush pillows and a few books that when he gets stressed out then he can go into the tent and have 
some quite time to himself. You can also have one set up in his room. Bright lights ,loud noises can some trigger mood 
swings in young children resulting in melt downs.  Also Keep a mood diary (Grandparents also have one ) and note down 
any changes before hand resulting in the mood changes . You might see pattern forming !!
Keep food plain (no junk food full of sugar and no soft drinks . Stay away from cheap and easy $2.oo sweets full of 
nasty additives . ) High Sugar, Pre pack snack foods (supermarket brands ) are not good for young children 
and can sometimes make the mood swings worst. Keep a food diary ,take notes if you see that after a while 
eating certain foods the child behaviour changes . my son use to go wacko after Smiths Chips . Use to last three hours. !!
Start with the food and it might help him to calm down. Do not stress out at the moment regarding how he is acting 
one task at a time regarding his behaviour and so some research on "GOOD FOODS LOW SUGAR AND TRY TO 
MAKE YOUR OWN CAKES AND SO ON. STAY AWAY FROM PRE PACKED FOODS, SO CALLED HEALTHY 
FOOD SNACKS FOR SCHOOL RUN (TRUST ME THEY ARE NOT GOOD FOR THE CHILD) THEY HAVE HIGH SUGAR 'S
AND FALSE COLOURS, ALL JUNK IN THEM THAT IF THE CHILD EATS EVERYDAY , BUILDS UP ,OVER LOAD.
GOOGLE SOME NATURAL OPTIONS ....START BAKING, HAVE FUN AND SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE CHILD MOODS. 
EARLY TO BED , ROUTINE A MUST. NOT TOO MUCH TV TOO. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE THIS HELPS.
SLOWLY SEE CHANGES FOR THE BETTER . 
KIND REGARDS SKATERGIRL08.

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search