Advice on dealing with partners mother with mental illness

Advice on dealing with partners mother with mental illness

Author
jessicasimon
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
My daughter is now 3 months, however at 2 weeks old after an argument with my partners mother in demanding alone time with our child she threatened to take us to court to gain access. My partner has not had a relationship with his mum for years.

Recently we regained contact after feeling intense anxiety over a potential court battle. Although we want nothing to do with her we have agreed to half an hour a month of visits. Are we doing the right thing? Should we be more accepting of her threats and behaviour since she has bad depression and anxiety?

Has anyone else ever been through this or gone through a court battle of similar nature?
skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
jessicasimon - 27/02/2018
My daughter is now 3 months, however at 2 weeks old after an argument with my partners mother in demanding alone time with our child she threatened to take us to court to gain access. My partner has not had a relationship with his mum for years.

Recently we regained contact after feeling intense anxiety over a potential court battle. Although we want nothing to do with her we have agreed to half an hour a month of visits. Are we doing the right thing? Should we be more accepting of her threats and behaviour since she has bad depression and anxiety?

Has anyone else ever been through this or gone through a court battle of similar nature?

Hi jessicasimon

I have read your post and was wondering why ? would your mother in-law threatened to take you to court to gain access to have time with the baby? 
Are you both under age ? or had some problems in the past with Children Services? just asking that all, Hope you don't mind ?
If not then why are you so worried about your mother in-law situation bad depression and anxiety? Do you feel that she might harm  the child?
If thats the case i would ask her Family Doctor about her condition and explain that you both feel not happy to leave the newborn with her alone 
due to the on going problems. Simple !!! iIf her Doctor feels that she not fit to have your daughter then problem solved. Why are you both stress 
and upset about it. just say" NO"and only visit her when you are both home and watch. She might feel that she wants to bond with her Grandchild 
but feels unable to express how . Threats and bad behaviour isn't what i call "caring towards someone, if you both feel (the child is yours not hers) 
that maybe its not the time and place to have her around , just explain " not now" maybe later on. Sometimes Young Adults are not close 
with one or both parents due to problems or so , that shouldn't make you feel guilty to say yes ,when really its no. Just say NO !
hope you understand, many Young Parents come across this issue, start saying "NO " from now and that way its easy later on. She might stop making threats 
and with love and care start again with you all. Hope it gets better for you soon. Communication is the key here !! Do some research and enjoy your new bundle of 
Joy. No one can take that away from you both. All the best kind regards Skatergirl08

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search