siblings seeing each other naked

siblings seeing each other naked

Author
s4431915
Forum Member
Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have a 13 year old son and a 15 year old daughter, They both get on like normal siblings and our family life is pretty normal. 
However, they do occasionally display  behaviour which to me seems a little odd. They seem to have no problem with being seen naked by each other. Now please don't get me wrong, they are not walking around the house naked everyday, nor am I suggesting anything even remotely sexual going on. Its just every now and then they act in a way that surprises myself and their mother.  
I'll give a couple of examples of what I am trying to say.
1. About 2 weeks ago i had just washed towels and there were none in the bathroom and my daughter didn't realise, so after a shower she walked straight through the lounge room/kitchen past everyone in her birthday suit to the laundry to get a towel.
2. a couple of months ago we were camping and after a swim my wife was in the tent getting changed and my impatient son changed his underwear behind our 4wd but in full view of myself and my daughter.

Firstly, do I even have an issue here?
I have always tried to avoid teaching body shame, but certainly neither myself or my wife have never been so open with things infront of the kids.

I am personally happy just to leave it alone as I don't see any harm being done and it happens at most maybe 2-3 times a year and only for a few seconds at a time.
However, I am keen to get advice from other people on what they think of the situation and what if anything we should do or say.  
Mason
Mason
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)

To me it just sounds like they are comfortable in their own skin and trust their family.

skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

s4431915 - 17/12/2017
I have a 13 year old son and a 15 year old daughter, They both get on like normal siblings and our family life is pretty normal. 
However, they do occasionally display  behaviour which to me seems a little odd. They seem to have no problem with being seen naked by each other. Now please don't get me wrong, they are not walking around the house naked everyday, nor am I suggesting anything even remotely sexual going on. Its just every now and then they act in a way that surprises myself and their mother.  
1. About 2 weeks ago i had just washed towels and there were none in the bathroom and my daughter didn't realise, so after a shower she walked straight through the lounge room/kitchen past everyone in her birthday suit to the laundry to get a towel.
2. a couple of months ago we were camping and after a swim my wife was in the tent getting changed and my impatient son changed his underwear behind our 4wd but in full view of myself and my daughter.

I have always tried to avoid teaching body shame, but certainly neither myself or my wife have never been so open with things infront of the kids.

I am personally happy just to leave it alone as I don't see any harm being done and it happens at most maybe 2-3 times a year and only for a few seconds at a time.
However, I am keen to get advice from other people on what they think of the situation and what if anything we should do or say.  

Hi s4431915,

Different custom's in other Counties teach their Children to be more open with their body image and so on.
If its making you and your wife not happy to see that , why maybe its time you had a chat with them that there are 
certain time and places that one can not be running around, walking around without clothes on "THE BIRTHDAY SUIT ".
Think about it. You cannot walk around in the Supermarket without clothes on, or down the street to but milk, bread and so on. 
Unless they are planning to join some sort of Club (nude) and thats fine within that group to feel free. 
What you feel like doing at home ,had different rules in Our Community ,Clothing is a must !! some sort of Clothing .
you must have been letting them do that from young age(don't get me wrong here ,but now you have taken notice?)
Might be best to have a chat now with them before they get in trouble with the law, sometimes what they get away with 
at home they tend to take it out in the Community. Less stress for you later on. Its great to hear that they love
and have positive image thinking towards their body's ...you have done well on that part.
Kind Regards Skatergirl08.

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

s4431915
s4431915
Forum Member
Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)

skatergirl08 - 19/12/2017
s4431915 - 17/12/2017

Hi s4431915,

Different custom's in other Counties teach their Children to be more open with their body image and so on.
If its making you and your wife not happy to see that , why maybe its time you had a chat with them that there are 
certain time and places that one can not be running around, walking around without clothes on "THE BIRTHDAY SUIT ".
Think about it. You cannot walk around in the Supermarket without clothes on, or down the street to but milk, bread and so on. 
Unless they are planning to join some sort of Club (nude) and thats fine within that group to feel free. 
What you feel like doing at home ,had different rules in Our Community ,Clothing is a must !! some sort of Clothing .
you must have been letting them do that from young age(don't get me wrong here ,but now you have taken notice?)
Might be best to have a chat now with them before they get in trouble with the law, sometimes what they get away with 
at home they tend to take it out in the Community. Less stress for you later on. Its great to hear that they love
and have positive image thinking towards their body's ...you have done well on that part.
Kind Regards Skatergirl08.

Hi Skatergirl08,
Its certainly a tricky situation. Personally, my wife and I don't care if they are nude for small amounts of time at home e.g. walking from bathroom to bedroom or getting changed. While we didn't expect such a high level of comfort from our children, it sort of feels nice that they trust us so much. We just find it odd because we have never done it infront of them. 
However, I do take note of the concern you raise about making sure they properly understand when and where it is ok to not wear clothes
s4431915
s4431915
Forum Member

Mason - 19/12/2017
To me it just sounds like they are comfortable in their own skin and trust their family.

The fact that they do trust us so much kind of makes myself and my partner feel good about the whole thing. They obviously do not feel judged in the home. 
Mason
Mason
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)Supreme Being (787 reputation)

s4431915 - 19/12/2017
Mason - 19/12/2017

The fact that they do trust us so much kind of makes myself and my partner feel good about the whole thing. They obviously do not feel judged in the home. 

So, no harm is being caused, let them be. Isn't like they are making a communal habit of it.

GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search