Can autism change as a child develops?

Can autism change as a child develops?

Author
Phanelope
Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,
My 15 year old son is really struggling in school and also has social and communication issues, but I am not sure if his behaviours are typically autistic. However, when he was younger, birth to twelve, he had many indicators for autism. He had behavioural issues, sleeping issues, feeding issues, speech and language difficulties, social problems and sensory problems. I also had his teachers and daycare providers suggest I have him assessed for autism. When he was 6 he was seen by a paediatrician but she didn't seem interested in my suggestions of ADHD, Aspergers or autism and simply suggested I get parenting classes.

When he was 12 he suddenly changed. He became shy and introverted when he had always been hyperactive. He was able to maintain a friendship, he could control his toiletting, and he started to try more foods. He still gets angry sometimes but not to the extremes he used to.

I've been thinking about getting him assessed, because then he might be able to get help in school. You know, before he leaves school and it's too late. I know a paediatrician would answer my questions but by the time he goes through the public wait list he will be an adult, and I can't afford to see a private paediatrician.

I don't want to waste the disabilities service commission's time by getting him assessed if there's no reason to think he has autism. I'm just not sure how it works. Could he have a lot of indicators as a child and fewer as a teen but still have autism?
GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search