Transition to a mainstream school

Transition to a mainstream school

Author
rade
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

Hi all,

I am the mother of a 11 yo autistic boy with mild intellectual disability who is in grade 5 in a special school for autism. His year 6 assessment was done recently and he scored high in the core language test and as a result he would not be funded for his high school. His teachers suggested the partial enrolment in a mainstream school next year where he goes both to the special school and the mainstream school so that the transition to a mainstream high school would be easier for him.

My question now is 1) how does just a language test assess an autistic child for funding where the main problem lies with the behaviour and social interaction. Autistic children can both be verbal and non verbal.

2) His academic level is that of a third grader and how will he cope with the grade 6 curriculum next year and the high school the following years? I am sure that he would definitely struggle both socially and academically in a mainstream school.

3) Is there any option for him to get into a school for intellectual disability? If so who will be doing the IQ test? Whom should I contact?

4) If there is no other option than to put him in a mainstream school, then please suggest some high schools in the northern suburbs of Melbourne which cater to the needs of an autistic child.

Please advise me if anyone has had experience regarding this.

Many thanks.

skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

rade - 19/10/2017
Hi all,Hi all, I am the mother of a 11 yo autistic boy with mild intellectual disability who is in grade 5 in a special school for autism. His year 6 assessment was done recently and he scored high in the core language test and as a result he would not be funded for his high school. His teachers suggested the partial enrolment in a mainstream school next year where he goes both to the special school and the mainstream school so that the transition to a mainstream high school would be easier for him. My question now is 1) how does just a language test assess an autistic child for funding where the main problem lies with the behaviour and social interaction. Autistic children can both be verbal and non verbal. 2) His academic level is that of a third grader and how will he cope with the grade 6 curriculum next year and the high school the following years? I am sure that he would definitely struggle both socially and academically in a mainstream school. 3) Is there any option for him to get into a school for intellectual disability? If so who will be doing the IQ test? Whom should I contact?4) If there is no other option than to put him in a mainstream school, then please suggest some high schools in the northern suburbs of Melbourne which cater to the needs of an autistic child. Please advise me if anyone has had experience regarding this.Many thanks.

Hi rade

I have heard (on the grape vine so to speak) there is a High School that caters for children on the spec. Its in Bundoora i think 
if you google High school for Autistic ..... Concord School in Bundoora campus. The address is  -411 Grimshaw Street Bundoora 3063
ph....9467 3972 . Google the School and you can read all about what they offer. If you have to move on that side of town for the School ,i think 
in the long run your child would benefit a lot. Also join AMAZE and they have heaps of information regarding Schools in Victoria who 
offer different programs. Being a member also gives you the peace of mind when it comes to Child and your rights and what the Gov 
sets as rules the Schools have to follow by Law. Join if you haven't. Be a member .. ! 
Kind Regards Skatergirl08

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

rade
rade
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)Supreme Being (229 reputation)

Hi @Skatergirl08,

Thanks so much for the information. I was desperately needing it. Will explore the school.

Regards
skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

rade - 20/10/2017
Hi @Skatergirl08,Thanks so much for the information. I was desperately needing it. Will explore the school.Regards

Hi rade,
You're Welcome !!! I looked at that School also (Keeping in mind) Im like you !! Research before hand.
My Son's younger but as you would beware always pays to have options open ! Good Luck 
Hope it works out for your Son Smile 
Regards Skatergirl08

rade
rade
Supreme Being

Hello all,

We did the IQ test for my son and he is above the cut-off( just 75) for eligibility under the Intellectual disability funding category.

As I am not happy with his language assessment scores, can I appeal for a re- assessment? If so when it can be done again?

He got below cut-off in Vineland behavioural test. So if the language assessment can be done again, I hope he will get below cut-off and might be eleigible for funding under ASD.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being

rade - 26/11/2017
Hello all, We did the IQ test for my son and he is above the cut-off( just 75) for eligibility under the Intellectual disability funding category. As I am not happy with his language assessment scores, can I appeal for a re- assessment? If so when it can be done again? He got below cut-off in Vineland behavioural test. So if the language assessment can be done again, I hope he will get below cut-off and might be eleigible for funding under ASD.Please advise.Thanks in advance.

Hey Rade , how are you? 
Wow thats a spanner in the water ! .I have come across this before !. 
What you might think of doing is get an language assessment done again (as you said) either through a private Psychologist (ask your Sons Paed)
to write a referral letter ,get a test done and study the results . See if they match up and go from there. Its always the best to double check with reports 
as you know we as
 Mothers of Children who are on the Spectrum tent to do that !! peace of mind !!, I know its very stressful for you !! I understand !!
All too much for this time of the Year .

Write a Action List .....
1.... Make a booking with your Sons Paed Doctor 

2. Get Him or Her Find A Prof Child Psychologist SPEECH AND SO ON. ,write a Referral 
3. Do the test again , get feedback from the Psychologist of her or his opinion , compare findings of the reports .
4. Do they match up ....same results or are they totally different.?
5. Once the reports are studied and findings come to light then start shopping around for Schools .....
6. Take care as THIS IS YOUR CHILD NEXT CHAPTER OF SCHOOLING AND YOU AS A PARENT HAVE TO TRY AND MAKE THE 
BEST CHOICE FOR HIM !!! Scary i know ! same here i am doing that very soon. Things we do for our Children!! 
Having a Child on the Spectrum is hard sometimes , we have to look outside the huge school box ! .
7. KEEP POSITIVE AT ALL TIME'S ( even make yourself happy on that thought) all will work out in the long run.
Just keep ticking the list off slowly and don't let it over power you . keep on top of it all. 
ASK QUESTIONS AND WRITE A LIST THAT WHEN YOU DO RING A SCHOOL YOU CAN ASK THEM ,WRITE DOWN 
WHAT THEY OFFER AND WHAT FUNDING YOU CAN APPLY TO HELP AND SUPPORT YOUR SON.(have you joined AMAZE ? IF NOT THEN JOIN .
AMAZE HAVE LOTS OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING DIFFERENT TOPIC AND SO ON CHILDREN ON THE SPECT. 
 I AM LOOKING AT ANOTHER SCHOOL AT THE MOMENT FOR NEXT YEAR. IF YOU GET STUCK , MESSAGE ME IN PRIVATE 
AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE DETAILS OF IT ( DIFFERENT ONE FROM LAST TALK WE HAD). HOPE IS NOT LOST , JUST KEEP FOCUS. YOUR SON NEEDS TO SEE YOUR
QUICK THINKING , GET UP AND GO MUM ATTITUDE !!! WE SOMETIMES HAVE TO BE SUPER MUM IN THE DRESS UP COSTUME !!!!
KEEP WELL AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GO WITH IT. 

KIND REGARDS SKATERGIRL08 Smile

rade
rade
Supreme Being

Hi Skatergirl08,

Thank you so much for your advice. I spoke with my son’s paed and now in the process of getting him assessed again for speech privately. Paed adviced to speak with his principal to see if anything can be done with the new assessment results. Hope everything goes well.

Thank you once again for your lovely long reply 😊.

Regards

skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being

rade - 01/12/2017
Hi Skatergirl08,Thank you so much for your advice. I spoke with my son’s paed and now in the process of getting him assessed again for speech privately. Paed adviced to speak with his principal to see if anything can be done with the new assessment results. Hope everything goes well.Thank you once again for your lovely long reply 😊.Regards

Hi rade, ohhh glad to hear that you followed up on it asap.Hope it works out for your Son .
Fantastic to see that when we ask Childs paed (always to that, their best interests are for the Child in question) 
wait to see what the results are  ! Wishing you and the Family a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2018 .Smile

Kind Regards Skatergirl08

GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search