Moving away from my daughter :,(

Moving away from my daughter :,(

Author
DedTanson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
In January, me and my pregnant girlfriend are moving to Italy to raise our family there. I will be leaving my 4 year old daughter, Evie, here with her Mum, Mum's partner, half sister, and extended family.

I need help, advise, tips...anything really, to make this move easier on my daughter. I plan to stay in touch as much as possible using facetime, mail and trips back and forth but I want her to know that still I love and care about her and I want to be in her life, even though I'm moving away.

Some background...

My girlfriend is Italian (hence the move) and I am from the UK. I moved here over 5 years ago to be in Evie's life.

Me and Evie's mum weren't in a stable relationship when she fell pregnant in Canada and she was already building something strong with her current partner when I moved here from the UK.

In essence, I have never lived with my daughter, but I have been a consistent part of her life since she was born, and I want to continue that when I move overseas.

I told Evie about the move a couple of weeks back. I want it to be an open topic for conversation, but she's 4.5 years old, how do I encourage her to explore those emotions and questions that she will have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (262 reputation)Supreme Being (262 reputation)Supreme Being (262 reputation)Supreme Being (262 reputation)Supreme Being (262 reputation)Supreme Being (262 reputation)Supreme Being (262 reputation)Supreme Being (262 reputation)Supreme Being (262 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
DedTanson - 11/10/2017
In January, me and my pregnant girlfriend are moving to Italy to raise our family there. I will be leaving my 4 year old daughter, Evie, here with her Mum, Mum's partner, half sister, and extended family.

I need help, advise, tips...anything really, to make this move easier on my daughter. I plan to stay in touch as much as possible using facetime, mail and trips back and forth but I want her to know that still I love and care about her and I want to be in her life, even though I'm moving away.

Some background...

My girlfriend is Italian (hence the move) and I am from the UK. I moved here over 5 years ago to be in Evie's life.

Me and Evie's mum weren't in a stable relationship when she fell pregnant in Canada and she was already building something strong with her current partner when I moved here from the UK.

In essence, I have never lived with my daughter, but I have been a consistent part of her life since she was born, and I want to continue that when I move overseas.

I told Evie about the move a couple of weeks back. I want it to be an open topic for conversation, but she's 4.5 years old, how do I encourage her to explore those emotions and questions that she will have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi DedTanson, 
Have you thought about Family Counselling  Therapy session'would be the best step to take. 
They can guide you in the right direction help you to come to term with the separation 
with your daughter.Your daughter is young now but as she grows older she need to understand what has happened .
Its sad to hear that the Child will have to deal with the fact she has two family's ,but if you want to stay in touch 
 growing up ,you really need help seek that help. Since you have other child on the way ,the sessions 
will give you the tools to be there for both of them ,for their education ,support and most of all love!
Since your daughter is 4.5 years old she needs to talk about her feeling , how she coping with dealing with them.
 Teenage years she might just want some really difficult questions ,if you cannot answer them
can put a strain on all concern. 
I am sure they have Counselling Therapy Services in Italy ,so if you are leaving very soon you can 
follow that up when you get there. Nothing wrong with asking for help "how to talk to the Child"
certain topics are not discussed till she gets older. Don't forget she might be aware of the other
Child your Girlfriend is having and you as a father  will be in that Child's life more. 
Make a better difference as they are growing up , be there for both Children ,Support them $$$$
in their education  take responsibility toward the better!
Good luck and take care. 
Kind Regards Skatergirl08

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

GO