Help needed! My 6 month old is very different to other babies I have seen/raised.

Help needed! My 6 month old is very different to other babies I have...

Author
Endlessworries
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
I know this may sound really really intimidating & distressing for you. All I want to do is get some information so that I can give the best available care to my child. Would anyone tell me what sought of signs of ASD did you notice in your kids when they were babies? How did you start with interventions? Did you see much improvement ?

My 6 month old is very different to other babies (including my 5yr old & nephews).
His eye contact is really poor from day 1. (Didn't initiate eye contact till 3 months)
He doesn't respond to us when we call him (responds to other noises though)
Till now, he never followed our gaze
Won't try to get our attention
He can play with his hands for long long time.
Doesn't explore toys with hands (will only chew or suck on them)
Will only feed when sleepy (this started around 3months)

Although, gives us big smile & wiggle with excitement whenever our eyes meet. Keeps looking at my lips when I read a book with him.
I have a paediatrician who has validated my concerns & has referred us to a child psychologist (not available untill feb nxt year). I really wanna start early interventions as they can help re-wire little brains.
Please help me with any sought of information available.
You could post here OR send me a private message

[email address removed by Moderator]
Edited
18/08/2017 by Moderator
kiragawa
kiragawa
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Endlessworries - 17/08/2017
Hi all,
I know this may sound really really intimidating & distressing for you. All I want to do is get some information so that I can give the best available care to my child. Would anyone tell me what sought of signs of ASD did you notice in your kids when they were babies? How did you start with interventions? Did you see much improvement ?

My 6 month old is very different to other babies (including my 5yr old & nephews).
His eye contact is really poor from day 1. (Didn't initiate eye contact till 3 months)
He doesn't respond to us when we call him (responds to other noises though)
Till now, he never followed our gaze
Won't try to get our attention
He can play with his hands for long long time.
Doesn't explore toys with hands (will only chew or suck on them)
Will only feed when sleepy (this started around 3months)

Although, gives us big smile & wiggle with excitement whenever our eyes meet. Keeps looking at my lips when I read a book with him.
I have a paediatrician who has validated my concerns & has referred us to a child psychologist (not available untill feb nxt year). I really wanna start early interventions as they can help re-wire little brains.
Please help me with any sought of information available.
You could post here OR send me a private message

[email address removed by Moderator]

Hey there Smile

ASD usually does not really present until about 18 months but in saying that, you know your child and if you are concerned about something it is good to get checked out. And you have seen a doctor who shares your concerns so clearly there might be something going on.  From what you have written above, his behaviour sounds within the realm of "normalcy" to me, whatever normalcy is lol. My little one would only feed when sleepy, otherwise was just not interested. At 6 months old, I would expect that he would be just chewing on his toys rather than playing. He is still showing some interest in you, with his smiles and laughter. It might be that he is a bit behind in some ways, it sounds like you are doing what you can to give him the best start. this includes reading to him, opportunities to play etc.By doing these things with lots of love and encouragement, he will get there one day. I remember one day meeting a boy who was 7 months old and WALKING. I looked at my boy who was barely sitting without falling and did think oh gee what are we doing wrong? Try not to compare, the differences between my first and second boys were numerous. But now they are really on par with each other, at 3 and 4 yrs of age.

GO