Am I overfeeding my newborn (8 days Old)

Am I overfeeding my newborn (8 days Old)

Author
rlking1985
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi All,

My wife and I have just had our first child and are looking for some advice. Can you overfeed a bottle fed baby, if so, what should we do?
  • We do not force her to feed if she does not want to
  • We demand feed or do not let her go past 4 hours without a feed.
  • She continually wants more than the recommended amounts
  • We space out feeds over 20-30 minutes
  • We have slow release teats (pigeon)
  • If we stop feeding she cries constantly regardless of nursing, burping, comforting
Any help would be appreciated!

Edited
16/08/2017 by rlking1985
daddydaycare50
daddydaycare50
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)

Parent of 2, one bottle and one breast fed...

We had exactly this issue, the recommended bottle amounts were just not satisfying enough for our daughter. After several weeks of this we switched to the richer 'hungry milk' for newborns and feeding took on a sense of normality BigGrin

Also we personally found no need to wake a sleeping baby for a feed (even if it's beyond four hours or whatever). They will wake and feed when they want..

rlking1985
rlking1985
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)

daddydaycare50 - 16/08/2017

We had exactly this issue, the recommended bottle amounts were just not satisfying enough for our daughter. After several weeks of this we switched to the richer 'hungry milk' for newborns and feeding took on a sense of normality BigGrin

Also we personally found no need to wake a sleeping baby for a feed (even if it's beyond four hours or whatever). They will wake and feed when they want..

Thanks for the reply daddydaycare50,

Was good to hear from someone else with the same experience. Everything is tracking along nicely again now, appreciate the help.
daddydaycare50
daddydaycare50
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)Supreme Being (191 reputation)

rlking1985 - 17/08/2017
daddydaycare50 - 16/08/2017

Thanks for the reply daddydaycare50,

Was good to hear from someone else with the same experience. Everything is tracking along nicely again now, appreciate the help.

No problem at all BigGrin
For most people the first 3 months at least are a fairly rough time for parents with a newborn BigGrin Anybody who claims it isn't is probably lying BigGrin. It gets better BigGrin

GO