Strategies for managing aggressive behaviour

Strategies for managing aggressive behaviour

Author
EmilyC
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
My son is two-and-a-half and often displays aggressive behaviour, both at home and at childcare.

This might involve hitting (both adults and children) and throwing objects. We've tried to speak firmly to him and to take him to his room (for very short periods) but it doesn't appear to be helping. When we say 'Please don't hit' it just encourages him to do it!

He's a social boy who has very good language development.

I would appreciate any suggestions of strategies we could try to improve his behaviour.
cars6
cars6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

We have had similar issues with my son and have been using planned ignoring to help us.
So far it has been working.
We find he is also worse if he is teething, tired or hungry.
Hope this helps.
EmilyC
EmilyC
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)Forum Guru (55 reputation)

cars6 - 11/10/2017
We have had similar issues with my son and have been using planned ignoring to help us.
So far it has been working.
We find he is also worse if he is teething, tired or hungry.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We're still trying to work through these issues, but will try ignoring a bit more to see if that works. And we're also focussing on distracting him - counting slowly, or moving his attention to something else.

skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (184 reputation)Supreme Being (184 reputation)Supreme Being (184 reputation)Supreme Being (184 reputation)Supreme Being (184 reputation)Supreme Being (184 reputation)Supreme Being (184 reputation)Supreme Being (184 reputation)Supreme Being (184 reputation)

EmilyC - 28/07/2017
My son is two-and-a-half and often displays aggressive behaviour, both at home and at childcare.

This might involve hitting (both adults and children) and throwing objects. We've tried to speak firmly to him and to take him to his room (for very short periods) but it doesn't appear to be helping. When we say 'Please don't hit' it just encourages him to do it!

He's a social boy who has very good language development.

I would appreciate any suggestions of strategies we could try to improve his behaviour.

Hi EmilyC
If you like have a look at my post about Free Visuals made into a booklet (i made my sons into a booklet )
you can change the pages around to suit the child. Get your Son to help you make it up, then he knows 
special book all for him to read to manage his aggressive behaviour. He could be picking that up 
from Daycare...Monkey see ,monkey do ! . have a chat when he comes home from Daycare 
of "How was your Day " and see what he tells you. Since he is a social boy and has good language development 
there is no need at the moment to seek advice from Doctor;s. But if it gets worse then you might have too.
He needs to calm down before Primary School or will have issues!. Also take care to keep an watch on Certain 
" Children's DVD "  example...Spounge Bob....Leggo movie (when my son would watch that his language 
was shocking " ) try and pick Movie's that are more calmer if you can.
Hope this helps and try the booklet if its appeals to you 
Good luck ,be firm its worth it in the long run !
being there done that !
Kind Regards Skatergirl08

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

GO