Do I send my daughter to a new school in Year 3 or Year 5?

Do I send my daughter to a new school in Year 3 or Year 5?

Author
AL1977
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
We have two scenarios which I'd like other parents input. My 9 year old son will start Year 5 at a new school next year (as the boys in our primary school all finish in year 4).We had always planned that our 7 year old daughter would do the same, so she would complete years 3 and 4 at the current school, then move to the new school (same as her brothers)  in year 5. She has always had friends in her year group, but not yet established a solid friendship in her own class (which upsets her) as she has been split each year from the friend she has made a bond with. For some reason, they all feel they can only play with children from their own class group. Does she stay in the hope to form a bond, which we then break and move her to the new school in Year 5 or do we send her in Year 3? Whereas my son has solid friendships and was lucky enough to have been in the same class all the way through. And will be starting the new school with this friend. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has advice or had a similar experience. Thanks!   
kimothy777
kimothy777
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)

AL1977 - 27/07/2017
We have two scenarios which I'd like other parents input. My 9 year old son will start Year 5 at a new school next year (as the boys in our primary school all finish in year 4).We had always planned that our 7 year old daughter would do the same, so she would complete years 3 and 4 at the current school, then move to the new school (same as her brothers)  in year 5. She has always had friends in her year group, but not yet established a solid friendship in her own class (which upsets her) as she has been split each year from the friend she has made a bond with. For some reason, they all feel they can only play with children from their own class group. Does she stay in the hope to form a bond, which we then break and move her to the new school in Year 5 or do we send her in Year 3? Whereas my son has solid friendships and was lucky enough to have been in the same class all the way through. And will be starting the new school with this friend. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has advice or had a similar experience. Thanks!   

Have you asked your 7 year old what she would like to do? I get that she might not have the insight to understand the ramifications. But I would also say that I don't see this is a major issue. Kids are more resilient than we give them credit for. I think if it were me, I would take the path of least resistance and allow my daughter to choose. Unless, of course it would be a real problem for you logistically. 
AL1977
AL1977
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)Forum Guru (62 reputation)

kimothy777 - 28/07/2017
AL1977 - 27/07/2017

Have you asked your 7 year old what she would like to do? I get that she might not have the insight to understand the ramifications. But I would also say that I don't see this is a major issue. Kids are more resilient than we give them credit for. I think if it were me, I would take the path of least resistance and allow my daughter to choose. Unless, of course it would be a real problem for you logistically. 

Thank you for your reply. I have asked and she said she would like to move. I wonder though if it's because there is a lot of focus being given to my son and him moving to the new school. Logistically it would be easier for me, financially not as much! 
kimothy777
kimothy777
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)

AL1977 - 28/07/2017
kimothy777 - 28/07/2017
AL1977 - 27/07/2017

Thank you for your reply. I have asked and she said she would like to move. I wonder though if it's because there is a lot of focus being given to my son and him moving to the new school. Logistically it would be easier for me, financially not as much! 

HA HA well everything needs to be considered. I guess you would need to have the final say, but it's good that your daughter gets to have input. She will understand if you decide that it is better not to shift her next year. Trust your own instincts and do what you feel is right. 

AL1977
AL1977
Forum Guru

kimothy777 - 28/07/2017
AL1977 - 28/07/2017
kimothy777 - 28/07/2017
AL1977 - 27/07/2017

HA HA well everything needs to be considered. I guess you would need to have the final say, but it's good that your daughter gets to have input. She will understand if you decide that it is better not to shift her next year. Trust your own instincts and do what you feel is right. 

Thank you for your input. It's always good to get another parents point of view. 
GO