Toddler struggles

Toddler struggles

Author
soleparent
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sole parent of a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I'm desperately reaching out for some ideas on how I can keep my 3yo quiet in our small half house home when i'm trying to get my 1yo to sleep?

I also would appreciate suggestions on how to change my 3yos attitude towards me as the sole parent (disciplinary more so than nurturer)? who seems to not want to be real close to me because i'm the 'bad cop' 90% of the time & I have no partner to echo me verbally backing me up as support

My 3yo uses negative behaviour to get attention

& is jealous of the 1yo so takes it out on me

& can get rough with the 1yo

& doesn't want to come with me when I pick up from daycare
skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
soleparent - 25/06/2017
Sole parent of a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I'm desperately reaching out for some ideas on how I can keep my 3yo quiet in our small half house home when i'm trying to get my 1yo to sleep?

I also would appreciate suggestions on how to change my 3yos attitude towards me as the sole parent (disciplinary more so than nurturer)? who seems to not want to be real close to me because i'm the 'bad cop' 90% of the time & I have no partner to echo me verbally backing me up as support

My 3yo uses negative behaviour to get attention

& is jealous of the 1yo so takes it out on me

& can get rough with the 1yo

& doesn't want to come with me when I pick up from daycare

Hi soleparent,
Wow that must be hard for you ! 
Two Children under the age of 5 . 
What you need to do is have a set routine every day (i know it hard sometimes ,we tried too!)
when you drop off the younger one have chat with your 3 yo "we are doing something special today "
since you have been a good boy " (if he hasn't then ask him ,"what do you think ......have you been a good boy today?)
explain to him that good behaviour gets rewarded and not so good (the reward will have to wait for another day)
The reward could be having some free time at the local park. 20 mins ...not too long. Play together .He might feel
left out a bit due to 1 year old. Try Social stories on line (free) or make up one yourself ..Easy ! Like writing a letter.
Make it up into a booklet form and read it to him while the younger one is resting having quite time. Get him to lay down with you 
and read together. Make the room a bit dark so its easy to calm him ,not iPad,no t.v nothing . Just you and him reading.
build on that bond. Have a chat how both of you are going to do some special things together. Doesn't have to cost money even giving him 
"spot the shopping goods we need" list . He wants to help but is not sure how to . Don't forget parents that are Sole parent 
have to be quick thinking ,take up the role of MOTHER AND FATHER . Don't feel bad about setting rules and "what you expect from him.
Do that now and for the younger one and you will have a lovely relationship with your Children in the future !
Keep chatting to him and make him feel loved and wanted , He relies on your support. Hugs !!!
Take care and wishing you a lovely Journey of being a parent ! 
It will get better trust me!!

Kind Regards Skatergirl08

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search