School bullying

School bullying

Author
deerandfawn
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have a 5yo son who is shy and introverted by nature. He is very self-confident, but needs to work on that in a social setting. I've arranged playdates with his classmates but each occasion my son is physically and emotionally hurt by the other children. He is pushed from the playground equipment, has his shirt pulled, is hit, ran away from, laughed at and told that he can't play with them. These are kids that also say they consider him a friend. One child even told their mother my son was crying because he and another boy were hurting him and were making him cry. I am at a loss as to how to protect my child. He's not a rough kid at all and doesn't instigate incidents. As an only child to a single mum he has a really kind soul and gentle. I've embraced his introverted personality as that's who he is. How can I keep my child's caring personality yet also make him strong enough to deal with other kids? 
Jitsu
Jitsu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
deerandfawn - 07/05/2017
I have a 5yo son who is shy and introverted by nature. He is very self-confident, but needs to work on that in a social setting. I've arranged playdates with his classmates but each occasion my son is physically and emotionally hurt by the other children. He is pushed from the playground equipment, has his shirt pulled, is hit, ran away from, laughed at and told that he can't play with them. These are kids that also say they consider him a friend. One child even told their mother my son was crying because he and another boy were hurting him and were making him cry. I am at a loss as to how to protect my child. He's not a rough kid at all and doesn't instigate incidents. As an only child to a single mum he has a really kind soul and gentle. I've embraced his introverted personality as that's who he is. How can I keep my child's caring personality yet also make him strong enough to deal with other kids? 

Hi Deerandfawn
I know this scenario well. My son is also a very gentle child. He is now about 12 years old and things have settled down a lot. I think it is very difficult when they are younger but I think if you make sure you keep talking to him and letting him know he is loved and supported by those around him (you and your partner or parents etc.) he will have somewhere soft to land when he needs to. You can also explain to him that the other kids behaviour (and be specific about which behaviour) is not ok and that is THEIR problem and THEIR issue to deal with. He doesn't have to play with them. There will be another child somewhere who is probably lonely and gentle too. Once he starts school there will be more children available. I know it's hard at this stage but my son has grown up to be a very sensible and gorgeous boy who is loved by both boys and girls alike. 
GO