Applying for Guardianship of Nephew with dangerous BPD Mother

Applying for Guardianship of Nephew with dangerous BPD Mother

Author
NicoleC
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi All
I am a Aunt of a 4 year old who has a Mother with BPD amongst other things.  He has been with us for about a month now while Mum is in hospital.
He revealed to me that she was abusing him and I have notified FACS however they keep closing the case as he is currently safe and has "protective people" in his life.  I am scared to send him back with her and know that she wants him back.  I want to apply to have guardianship of him but have tried for legal aid and don't qualify.  I also have received quotes from Lawyers but these start at $35k+.
I spend my days researching and calling people but feel like I am just running into dead ends everywhere I turn.  It annoys me that she can just come and take him back to his old "life" where he is scared all the time and where she is so unstable and unpredictable.
She believes he "owes" her love and affection and never takes responsibility for her actions.
He is not safe with his mother, does anyone have any advice for me?
polpak
polpak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (59 reputation)Forum Guru (59 reputation)Forum Guru (59 reputation)Forum Guru (59 reputation)Forum Guru (59 reputation)Forum Guru (59 reputation)Forum Guru (59 reputation)Forum Guru (59 reputation)Forum Guru (59 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
NicoleC - 20/04/2017
Hi All
I am a Aunt of a 4 year old who has a Mother with BPD amongst other things.  He has been with us for about a month now while Mum is in hospital.
He revealed to me that she was abusing him and I have notified FACS however they keep closing the case as he is currently safe and has "protective people" in his life.  I am scared to send him back with her and know that she wants him back.  I want to apply to have guardianship of him but have tried for legal aid and don't qualify.  I also have received quotes from Lawyers but these start at $35k+.
I spend my days researching and calling people but feel like I am just running into dead ends everywhere I turn.  It annoys me that she can just come and take him back to his old "life" where he is scared all the time and where she is so unstable and unpredictable.
She believes he "owes" her love and affection and never takes responsibility for her actions.
He is not safe with his mother, does anyone have any advice for me?

It is not easy.

Similar situation earlier for self,  it took ages to resolve to where manageable.  

You need others nearby who can support you when through things becoming difficult for both you and your nephew.  

As only 4  best to re-assure your nephew is right thing to ask for help, even to ring others, when feels need for it. 

Even at 4 years, teach him how to dial 000 for Fire/Police/Ambulance,  be sure he knows this is OK when-ever feels he needs their help, 

Also teach him to call Lifeline or KidsHelp and chat to them,  make sure you get him to do this when he wants talk to someone about something so it becomes second nature.   

Make sure he knows places where people safe for him to walk and talk with,  so when feels need knows can do.

GO