12 months old signs of Autism?

12 months old signs of Autism?

Author
rainroad
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
He was pretty normal before but nowadays he shows some signs of autism and so my husband is freaking out and I am worried as well and would like to consult with experienced parents.

Signs of autism:

1. He doesn't really have any expressive language. He doesn't babble, only make vowel noises. 
2. He doesn't have receptive language either. If I ask "where's daddy?" he wouldn't respond.
3. We tried to teach him how to wave but he didn't respond. 
4. He is easily distracted. He only stares at you for awhile and then loses interest.

Signs of non-autism:

1. He is attached to me and would make noises to get my attention like crying etc.
2. He doesn't mind strangers and seems to be very comfortable with being in strangers' arms.
3. He even seems to love strangers and laughs at them at times.

I'd appreciate all comments and opinions.

DTRU7298
DTRU7298
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)

Hi,

Your child may or may not have ASD and you probably will find that many paediatricians will be reluctant to give a diagnosis at such a young age. As I have touched on in another post, it is far better to be proactive than to play a waiting game. You could consider doing a short period of early intervention without a formal diagnosis. This will put you and your child on the front foot if it turns out that it is indeed ASD. If not, your child will have learnt some new skills and learnt to play and interact with other people. 

rainroad
rainroad
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)

DTRU7298 - 19 January 2017 12:58 PM
Hi,

Your child may or may not have ASD and you probably will find that many paediatricians will be reluctant to give a diagnosis at such a young age. As I have touched on in another post, it is far better to be proactive than to play a waiting game. You could consider doing a short period of early intervention without a formal diagnosis. This will put you and your child on the front foot if it turns out that it is indeed ASD. If not, your child will have learnt some new skills and learnt to play and interact with other people. 

Thanks for the response. I took him to a pediatrician and he said there's a high chance my child has ASD. They are about to send someone over to monitor the baby several days later. I'm really hoping for the best now.
DTRU7298
DTRU7298
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)Supreme Being (220 reputation)

Check out: https://parentsempowered.wordpress.com for some handy tips on how to better interact with your son. Good luck with the journey ahead. 
GO