How much is 'too much' technological use?

How much is 'too much' technological use?

Author
TimesUpToddlers
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (242 reputation)Supreme Being (242 reputation)Supreme Being (242 reputation)Supreme Being (242 reputation)Supreme Being (242 reputation)Supreme Being (242 reputation)Supreme Being (242 reputation)Supreme Being (242 reputation)Supreme Being (242 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

Over the years, the predominance and heavy reliance on technological devices for the entertainment, distraction and calming of our little ones, has been overwhelming. I for one, have also fallen into this trap and it is undeniably effective. 

However, where do we draw the line?

As I was growing up, my parents always use to say to my self and my siblings that 'too much' sugar or 'too much' of anything for that matter, was not good for us. The same goes for technology right? Growing up, the predominance of these devices were not evident. So we made do, by playing with each other forming our own entertainment.

I have conducted copious amount of research in this matter because for one, we can not disregard the benefits these devices have enabled us. For the parents and the children. 

Undoubtedly, I have also come across many negative effects of 'too much' technological use among toddlers, including social anxiety, obesity, decreased familial bonds, a reduced sense of touch & feel etc. 

But this research still does not tell me, how much is 'too much'.

Parents, carers and guardians of toddlers, what's your strategies to maintain balance for your toddlers? Or how much is 'too much' in your perspective?

Any help or advice is welcomed!

R.T.  

Hitesh
Hitesh
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (288 reputation)Supreme Being (288 reputation)Supreme Being (288 reputation)Supreme Being (288 reputation)Supreme Being (288 reputation)Supreme Being (288 reputation)Supreme Being (288 reputation)Supreme Being (288 reputation)Supreme Being (288 reputation)

TimesUpToddlers - 06/10/2016
Hi everyone,

Over the years, the predominance and heavy reliance on technological devices for the entertainment, distraction and calming of our little ones, has been overwhelming. I for one, have also fallen into this trap and it is undeniably effective. 

As I was growing up, my parents always use to say to my self and my siblings that 'too much' sugar or 'too much' of anything for that matter, was not good for us. The same goes for technology right? Growing up, the predominance of these devices were not evident. So we made do, by playing with each other forming our own entertainment.

I have conducted copious amount of research in this matter because for one, we can not disregard the benefits these devices have enabled us. For the parents and the children. 

Undoubtedly, I have also come across many negative effects of 'too much' technological use among toddlers, including social anxiety, obesity, decreased familial bonds, a reduced sense of touch & feel etc. 

Parents, carers and guardians of toddlers, what's your strategies to maintain balance for your toddlers? Or how much is 'too much' in your perspective?

R.T.  

Hello,

There was something which i had received previously. Please do read this post here, but my daughter being the lone child with little company of other children. She is stuck on the laptop for a lot longer. I am concerned as well

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/screen_time_2-5_years.html

Edited
13/03/2017 by Moderator
SunMarina
SunMarina
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)

Hi everyone,

R.T.  

Hi, R.T.

I had the same problem. I used to let kids to watch TV, then play with mobile devices, etc. on their own. When my kids used to play games or watch TV, I had time for myself or daily chores. But the more I let kids to play, the more they asked me... Then I realized that I have to stop behave like this and I started to share screen time together! If they asked to play, I used to play together, if they asked to watch TV, I used to watch kids move together. When a show on TV ends up, I switch off TV and invite kids to draw characters or play some games related to previous show. If kids want to play video games, I play together or stay on their back and comment gameplay. It was such a fun to do it and I solved the second problem - inappropriate ads & content!
skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

Hi everyone,

R.T.  

Hello There !

First of all i really like reading your post regarding this subject! Thank you !!

I think we as Parents of young children have forgotten how to play (game boards and one on one time with our children)
due to over worked, not enough time in the day ,other issues to deal e.g. too much time on Facebook and the list goes on.

If we as Parents also have a limit of time spent on social media devices we can make time for our children. 
When my Son was in Kinder garden OT <SPEECH wanted him to use the iPad all the time. I wasn't for it !!!
They couldn't understand why ,i stressed that i DID NOT WANT MY YOUNG TODDLER AT THE DINNER TABLE EATING LOOKING AT 
A TOUCH SCREEN WHILE WE ARE EATING A  MEAL !. GETTING INTO THE HABIT OF NOT TALKING BUT ,TOUCHING A IPAD.
I PUT A STOP TO THAT WITH BEING FROWN UPON FROM THEM,. 
Even at the OT social groups they wanted all the Children to be touch screen iPad ,in the waiting room. Parents where on their phones(not talking to each 
other .....and the Child (toddlers sitting there the same) WHAT HAS HAPPEN TO OUR SOCIAL SKILLS . WELL PEOPLE HAVE FORGOTTEN TO 
GREET AND MEET EACH OTHER AND HAVE A GOOD OLD CHAT.
I STRONGLY AGREE THAT YOUNG CHILDREN EVEN MORE TODDLERS NEED TO HAVE A STRICK CUT OFF TIME OF USE )
BUT ON THAT NOTE WHEN YOU HAVE ....OT....SPEECH TELLING MOTHERS OF CHILDREN WHO FOR SOME REASON 
ARE SHOWING THAT THEY MIGHT BE ON THE SPECTRUM TO BE 24/7 ON THE DEVICES TO IMPROVE SPEECH AND ON.
I did it the old fashion way.....Visual cards, going and spending time out in my Community teaching my Son back then the skill
of 'GREETING < MEETING AND HOW TO USE HIS SOCIAL SKILLS ,NOT A IPAD AS A PERSON.
EVERY BABY I SEE NOW IN THE PRAMS HAVE A IPAD OR SOME SORT OF DEVICE ,WHILE THE MOTHER IS ON 
HER IPHONE ,NOT WATCHING WHAT AROUND HER ...WHAT CAN I SAY. WE ARE MAKING THE PROBLEM WORSE AND 
NEED ATTENTION AND PUBLIC AWARENESS. 
WOULD BE FANTASTIC IF YOU COULD MAYBE SEND OUT INFORMATION TO NEW MOTHERS OF THE DANGERS OF GIVING SUCH YOUNG BABY 
DIGIAL DEVICES TO SPEND THE WHOLE DAY WATCHING, THEN TV AND THE  GOES ON. 
THEY THEN WONDER WHY THE BABY CANNOT HAVE QUITE TIME IN THE AFTER NAP, INSTEAD THEY GIVE IT THE 
PHONE TO PLAY WITH ....I SEE IT  ALL THE TIME WHEN I AM IN THE COMMUNITY ....TOO MUCH IPAD,I PHONE 
MANIA !!!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR FANTASTIC POST ,LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE !!Smile
KIND REGARDS SKATERGIRL08

MOTHERS VOICES ARE THE BEST TOOLS 
 TOWARDS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ,
HAPPY AUTISTIC  CHILDREN GROWN INTO CONFIDENT ADULTS 

SunMarina
SunMarina
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)Forum Guru (69 reputation)

skatergirl08 - 30/11/2017
Hi everyone,

R.T.  

Hello There !

First of all i really like reading your post regarding this subject! Thank you !!

I think we as Parents of young children have forgotten how to play (game boards and one on one time with our children)
due to over worked, not enough time in the day ,other issues to deal e.g. too much time on Facebook and the list goes on.

If we as Parents also have a limit of time spent on social media devices we can make time for our children. 
When my Son was in Kinder garden OT <SPEECH wanted him to use the iPad all the time. I wasn't for it !!!
They couldn't understand why ,i stressed that i DID NOT WANT MY YOUNG TODDLER AT THE DINNER TABLE EATING LOOKING AT 
A TOUCH SCREEN WHILE WE ARE EATING A  MEAL !. GETTING INTO THE HABIT OF NOT TALKING BUT ,TOUCHING A IPAD.
Even at the OT social groups they wanted all the Children to be touch screen iPad ,in the waiting room. Parents where on their phones(not talking to each 
other .....and the Child (toddlers sitting there the same) WHAT HAS HAPPEN TO OUR SOCIAL SKILLS . WELL PEOPLE HAVE FORGOTTEN TO 
I STRONGLY AGREE THAT YOUNG CHILDREN EVEN MORE TODDLERS NEED TO HAVE A STRICK CUT OFF TIME OF USE )
BUT ON THAT NOTE WHEN YOU HAVE ....OT....SPEECH TELLING MOTHERS OF CHILDREN WHO FOR SOME REASON 
ARE SHOWING THAT THEY MIGHT BE ON THE SPECTRUM TO BE 24/7 ON THE DEVICES TO IMPROVE SPEECH AND ON.
I did it the old fashion way.....Visual cards, going and spending time out in my Community teaching my Son back then the skill
of 'GREETING < MEETING AND HOW TO USE HIS SOCIAL SKILLS ,NOT A IPAD AS A PERSON.
EVERY BABY I SEE NOW IN THE PRAMS HAVE A IPAD OR SOME SORT OF DEVICE ,WHILE THE MOTHER IS ON 
HER IPHONE ,NOT WATCHING WHAT AROUND HER ...WHAT CAN I SAY. WE ARE MAKING THE PROBLEM WORSE AND 
WOULD BE FANTASTIC IF YOU COULD MAYBE SEND OUT INFORMATION TO NEW MOTHERS OF THE DANGERS OF GIVING SUCH YOUNG BABY 
THEY THEN WONDER WHY THE BABY CANNOT HAVE QUITE TIME IN THE AFTER NAP, INSTEAD THEY GIVE IT THE 
PHONE TO PLAY WITH ....I SEE IT  ALL THE TIME WHEN I AM IN THE COMMUNITY ....TOO MUCH IPAD,I PHONE 
MANIA !!!

Oh, I do not agree that tablets or phones are not suitable for toddlers or kids. I think that you have to use them in proper ways. You can teach toddlers colors, animals, food names etc. I mean it is very good educational device (if you use it together with your kid!) I use mobile devices to entertain kids as well. It's fun to play with kids and share our spare time. I think the problem is not the devices, but teaching kids social skills, the set up of family rules and values. You probably noticed that kids are not following worlds, but they do follow actions! If parents are on their mobile devices, kids want to do the same... I would like to see more parents sharing screen time together with kids Smile
skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

SunMarina - 30/11/2017
Hi everyone,

R.T.  

Hello There !

MANIA !!!

Oh, I do not agree that tablets or phones are not suitable for toddlers or kids. I think that you have to use them in proper ways. You can teach toddlers colors, animals, food names etc. I mean it is very good educational device (if you use it together with your kid!) I use mobile devices to entertain kids as well. It's fun to play with kids and share our spare time. I think the problem is not the devices, but teaching kids social skills, the set up of family rules and values. You probably noticed that kids are not following worlds, but they do follow actions! If parents are on their mobile devices, kids want to do the same... I would like to see more parents sharing screen time together with kids Smile

Hi SunMarina, 
Lovely to read your feedback!  

i would like to add to your comment that also" BOOKS" and outings like ROYAL MELBOUNRE ZOO , ARTS CENTRE AND THE LIST IS MANY offer 
Children to experience hands on learning together Parent and Child ! yes I Phones and Tablets ore ok as a tool for learning but they do not 
replace One and One learning out in the Community. Out in the fresh air , no damage to young eyes , working on Social skills and what 
is expected a the child when out in the Public. Thank you  again
Kind Regards Skatergirl08

SunMarina
SunMarina
Forum Guru

skatergirl08 - 02/12/2017
SunMarina - 30/11/2017
Hi everyone,

R.T.  

Hello There !

MANIA !!!

Hi SunMarina, 

i would like to add to your comment that also" BOOKS" and outings like ROYAL MELBOUNRE ZOO , ARTS CENTRE AND THE LIST IS MANY offer 
Children to experience hands on learning together Parent and Child ! yes I Phones and Tablets ore ok as a tool for learning but they do not 
replace One and One learning out in the Community. Out in the fresh air , no damage to young eyes , working on Social skills and what 

Hi, Skatergirl08,

thanks for your replay. As I live in the other part of the World - in a small country called Lithuania, I have never been to Melbounre zoo or other place in Australia Smile But of course one day I would love to visit all these nice places together with my kids. We are extremely active family - everyone with our own hobbies. As in winter time is cold and dark, we spend evenings indoors, so that is the reason why I mentioned kids apps as one of the ways we spend time together. We play board games, reading books, coloring books, etc. as well. In spring & summer time we visit local zoo, parks, lakes and other great places for outdoor activities Smile
skatergirl08
skatergirl08
Supreme Being

SunMarina - 04/12/2017
SunMarina - 30/11/2017
Hi everyone,

R.T.  

Hello There !

MANIA !!!

Hi SunMarina, 

Hi, Skatergirl08,

thanks for your replay. As I live in the other part of the World - in a small country called Lithuania, I have never been to Melbounre zoo or other place in Australia Smile But of course one day I would love to visit all these nice places together with my kids. We are extremely active family - everyone with our own hobbies. As in winter time is cold and dark, we spend evenings indoors, so that is the reason why I mentioned kids apps as one of the ways we spend time together. We play board games, reading books, coloring books, etc. as well. In spring & summer time we visit local zoo, parks, lakes and other great places for outdoor activities Smile

Hi SunMarina,
OHHH i understand now ! 
Hope one day you do get to Visit our lovely Country Australia , we have a fantastic Zoo , Many beautiful places to Visit ,enjoy 
with the Children.
 After all we are Mothers who want the best for our Children !! exchange idea's

Wishing you all the best for the New Year, Happy holidays !

SunMarina
SunMarina
Forum Guru

skatergirl08 - 05/12/2017
SunMarina - 04/12/2017
SunMarina - 30/11/2017
Hi everyone,

R.T.  

Hello There !

MANIA !!!

Hi SunMarina, 

Hi, Skatergirl08,

Hi SunMarina,
OHHH i understand now ! 
Hope one day you do get to Visit our lovely Country Australia , we have a fantastic Zoo , Many beautiful places to Visit ,enjoy 
with the Children.
 After all we are Mothers who want the best for our Children !! exchange idea's

Wishing you all the best for the New Year, Happy holidays !

Hi, Skatergirl08,

thank you so much! It's great to be mother no mater in which part of the world you are! Smile Wishing you nice Christmas and happy New Yew as well Smile
GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search