How much is 'too much' technological use?

How much is 'too much' technological use?

Author
TimesUpToddlers
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (156 reputation)Supreme Being (156 reputation)Supreme Being (156 reputation)Supreme Being (156 reputation)Supreme Being (156 reputation)Supreme Being (156 reputation)Supreme Being (156 reputation)Supreme Being (156 reputation)Supreme Being (156 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

Over the years, the predominance and heavy reliance on technological devices for the entertainment, distraction and calming of our little ones, has been overwhelming. I for one, have also fallen into this trap and it is undeniably effective. 

However, where do we draw the line?

As I was growing up, my parents always use to say to my self and my siblings that 'too much' sugar or 'too much' of anything for that matter, was not good for us. The same goes for technology right? Growing up, the predominance of these devices were not evident. So we made do, by playing with each other forming our own entertainment.

I have conducted copious amount of research in this matter because for one, we can not disregard the benefits these devices have enabled us. For the parents and the children. 

Undoubtedly, I have also come across many negative effects of 'too much' technological use among toddlers, including social anxiety, obesity, decreased familial bonds, a reduced sense of touch & feel etc. 

But this research still does not tell me, how much is 'too much'.

Parents, carers and guardians of toddlers, what's your strategies to maintain balance for your toddlers? Or how much is 'too much' in your perspective?

Any help or advice is welcomed!

R.T.  

Hitesh
Hitesh
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
TimesUpToddlers - 06/10/2016
Hi everyone,

Over the years, the predominance and heavy reliance on technological devices for the entertainment, distraction and calming of our little ones, has been overwhelming. I for one, have also fallen into this trap and it is undeniably effective. 

However, where do we draw the line?

As I was growing up, my parents always use to say to my self and my siblings that 'too much' sugar or 'too much' of anything for that matter, was not good for us. The same goes for technology right? Growing up, the predominance of these devices were not evident. So we made do, by playing with each other forming our own entertainment.

I have conducted copious amount of research in this matter because for one, we can not disregard the benefits these devices have enabled us. For the parents and the children. 

Undoubtedly, I have also come across many negative effects of 'too much' technological use among toddlers, including social anxiety, obesity, decreased familial bonds, a reduced sense of touch & feel etc. 

But this research still does not tell me, how much is 'too much'.

Parents, carers and guardians of toddlers, what's your strategies to maintain balance for your toddlers? Or how much is 'too much' in your perspective?

Any help or advice is welcomed!

R.T.  

Hello,

There was something which i had received previously. Please do read this post here, but my daughter being the lone child with little company of other children. She is stuck on the laptop for a lot longer. I am concerned as well

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/screen_time_2-5_years.html

Edited
13/03/2017 by Moderator
GO