When to start school..

When to start school..

Author
AnnaH82
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (67 reputation)Forum Guru (67 reputation)Forum Guru (67 reputation)Forum Guru (67 reputation)Forum Guru (67 reputation)Forum Guru (67 reputation)Forum Guru (67 reputation)Forum Guru (67 reputation)Forum Guru (67 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Would love to hear what other parents of boys are planning to do when they have the option to start earlier vs later.

Proud parents of a super energetic (slightly wild) boy and I think we are planning to start one year later, so as a 5 (nearly 6) year old more so than as a 4 (nearly 5) year old.

Thinking it could be good for him to mature a little bit as well as having read studies on the benefits of being 5 + years of age when starting school.

What are you guys planning to do?
miaki
miaki
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (414 reputation)Supreme Being (414 reputation)Supreme Being (414 reputation)Supreme Being (414 reputation)Supreme Being (414 reputation)Supreme Being (414 reputation)Supreme Being (414 reputation)Supreme Being (414 reputation)Supreme Being (414 reputation)

I'm a mum of a girl who was born only a few days before the cut off date and we had the option to delay her. We decided to delay and she will be starting school at 5.5yrs rather than 4.5yrs and will turn 6 half way through her first year of schooling. I don't regret holding her back as now I can see she has really matured a lot and is so much more ready for school. All the research I came across supports starting school later and think it's one of the best decisions we've made.
kiragawa
kiragawa
Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)Junior Member (22 reputation)

I am struggling with this exact question. My boy is smart, he wants to go to school and he is socially ready. But I have this niggling feeling to hold him back a year because he will be the youngest by far. All his friends at preschool are attending school the year after. Ahhh what to do...
GO