14y/o daughter self harming and making poor friend choices

14y/o daughter self harming and making poor friend choices

Author
Tasmum76
Forum Member
Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
My daughter has gone from loving school to hating it, she has made friends with a group of girls that hate school, constantly get suspended, a couple of the girls even have police records, my daughter has been taken in by this group, being the type of child that has always struggled to make friends she has loved having lots of friends.

But today she has been suspended for the second time, her friends think it fantastic and that its all a joke.

I don't want to tell her to stop being around these friends, I just remind her to make choices that are true to what she wants, and make safe choices, it's getting me no where, today when I collected her from school after being suspended I noticed cuts up her arm, she said that she did it because she thought we would move her schools and she wouldn't see her best friends again, she also had told me she has done it about 12 months ago, before she had these friends and was struggling to make friends. I have made an appointment for her to see the student guidance counsellor tomorrow but she is adamant she will not go. I'm heart broken I cannot reach out to my child. Any advice on any of the above would be very welcomed please.
Tweens2teen
Tweens2teen
Forum Member
Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)

Wow Tasmum76 you have so much going on, I can imagine how distressing this is. When one of my kids was needing help but refusing it I gave them a couple of options to choose between, like seeing a counsellor at school, our family doctor or a private counsellor. I'm not sure if that could work.

The need to belong is so powerful at this age, so I think you're right not to try and pull her away from these friends because that will make her only cling harder and push further away from you. If only our kids didn't feel the need to learn about life the hard way! My only other suggestion is to keep reminding her of her dreams and explain that you're there to support her to reach them. That can sometimes help kids realise they're in with a bad bunch without you having to tell them that.
Lindy loo
Lindy loo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (178 reputation)Supreme Being (178 reputation)Supreme Being (178 reputation)Supreme Being (178 reputation)Supreme Being (178 reputation)Supreme Being (178 reputation)Supreme Being (178 reputation)Supreme Being (178 reputation)Supreme Being (178 reputation)

Yasmin. Ask for help from your local GP. Get a mental health care plan. Ask for a referral to headspace or a local Psychologist. Ours is at our doctors. A place called no dramas for teens.
Itemfulds
Itemfulds
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (151 reputation)Supreme Being (151 reputation)Supreme Being (151 reputation)Supreme Being (151 reputation)Supreme Being (151 reputation)Supreme Being (151 reputation)Supreme Being (151 reputation)Supreme Being (151 reputation)Supreme Being (151 reputation)

Tasmum76 - 22/03/2016
My daughter has gone from loving school to hating it, she has made friends with a group of girls that hate school, constantly get suspended, a couple of the girls even have police records, my daughter has been taken in by this group, being the type of child that has always struggled to make friends she has loved having lots of friends.
But today she has been suspended for the second time, her friends think it fantastic and that its all a joke.
I don't want to tell her to stop being around these friends, I just remind her to make choices that are true to what she wants, and make safe choices, it's getting me no where, today when I collected her from school after being suspended I noticed cuts up her arm, she said that she did it because she thought we would move her schools and she wouldn't see her best friends again, she also had told me she has done it about 12 months ago, before she had these friends and was struggling to make friends. I have made an appointment for her to see the student guidance counsellor tomorrow but she is adamant she will not go. I'm heart broken I cannot reach out to my child. Any advice on any of the above would be very welcomed please.

Make more time with your daughter, a good conversation with parents could help them getting away with the bad thoughts and they are most likely open in their problems. Never forget to remind her a bright future ahead when you get a good school record and get a diploma. It always helps to get a decent job and a better living.

GO