Muscle gain for boys

Muscle gain for boys

Author
Voltaire
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello. My 12 year old boy is on the skinny side. He's conscious of it. I offered to look into helping him. I also pointed out to him that I was skinny like that, but panned out in my later teens. I was also self-conscious at that age too. He doesn't play any sports, just sits in front of a screen playing games most of the time. I was more into sports at that age than he is, which may have helped me. I'll get him to do some exercises, starting off with small targets (eg 5 pushups, 5 situps). If he shows he's serious, I'll get him some weights. Am wondering if anyone has had success turning a skinny boy into a Schwarzenegger literally overnight (only kidding but you know what I mean), in a healthy way? Thanks for any thoughts.
babybibsplus
babybibsplus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)

Be careful of using those protein shakes for building muscles. My son did that and almost died because he had to much protein and creatin in his system. His kidneys shut down on him. Your son will fill out when he gets older. Put him in karate and that will help build his confidence and self esteem.
Voltaire
Voltaire
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)Supreme Being (651 reputation)

Many thanks. Appreciate the health risks. He was in karate for a while, with his younger brother, but didn't take an interest. His only interest is playing video games. Very difficult to instill an interest in anything if he (or she) just doesn't want to. Anyway, he doesn't seem serious about building weight so he'll just have to live with it (until he inevitably pans out in late teens).
sova139
sova139
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (561 reputation)Supreme Being (561 reputation)Supreme Being (561 reputation)Supreme Being (561 reputation)Supreme Being (561 reputation)Supreme Being (561 reputation)Supreme Being (561 reputation)Supreme Being (561 reputation)Supreme Being (561 reputation)

Hello! I hope you are all well now?
Itemfulds
Itemfulds
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (723 reputation)Supreme Being (723 reputation)Supreme Being (723 reputation)Supreme Being (723 reputation)Supreme Being (723 reputation)Supreme Being (723 reputation)Supreme Being (723 reputation)Supreme Being (723 reputation)Supreme Being (723 reputation)

Voltaire - 22/02/2016
Hello. My 12 year old boy is on the skinny side. He's conscious of it. I offered to look into helping him. I also pointed out to him that I was skinny like that, but panned out in my later teens. I was also self-conscious at that age too. He doesn't play any sports, just sits in front of a screen playing games most of the time. I was more into sports at that age than he is, which may have helped me. I'll get him to do some exercises, starting off with small targets (eg 5 pushups, 5 situps). If he shows he's serious, I'll get him some weights. Am wondering if anyone has had success turning a skinny boy into a Schwarzenegger literally overnight (only kidding but you know what I mean), in a healthy way? Thanks for any thoughts.

Make a research for protein food that helped in gaining muscle or enroll him in a sports clinic or swimming. One of the reason for being skinny I think when you are stressed in computer games or gadgets. Make a diversion.

PeterRaker
PeterRaker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (203 reputation)Supreme Being (203 reputation)Supreme Being (203 reputation)Supreme Being (203 reputation)Supreme Being (203 reputation)Supreme Being (203 reputation)Supreme Being (203 reputation)Supreme Being (203 reputation)Supreme Being (203 reputation)

hi, strength training for kids is generally good.  i don't think they need supplements now.
but you should be careful to differentiate strength training and weight training.  

as kids are still growing, getting excessive muscles and tendons strength will constrain the growth of bones.  you don't want to end up with a muscular, but short adult, that has its myriad of other issues.

good luck!

Stu Schaefer
Stu Schaefer
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (86 reputation)Supreme Being (86 reputation)Supreme Being (86 reputation)Supreme Being (86 reputation)Supreme Being (86 reputation)Supreme Being (86 reputation)Supreme Being (86 reputation)Supreme Being (86 reputation)Supreme Being (86 reputation)

The best thing you can do is hire a sports nutritionist.  I'm a trainer and nutritionist and I've worked with many kids.  If he can learn healthy eating habits so that he gets all of the nutrients he needs, plus learns how to eat right... he will be able to gain muscle.

It does take some discipline, but it can also be very simple.  When I work with kids, I teach them about balancing protein foods, carb foods, and fats, along with veggies.  Then I teach them how to eat snacks and keep their body balanced.  

It will help his mood, focus, and body.

I hope this helps!

Stu Schaefer
VP - PrepareMyKid.com
GO