How to get rid of games for my 14-year-old son?

How to get rid of games for my 14-year-old son?

Author
fasmenow89
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

My son is 14 years old and he's a game addicted. I don't know how to prevent him from playing games with his bad friends in the cyber-games. I often shout at him, especially spank him but he still want to playing games.

He usually play hooky and he stole my money to play games.

What can i do? Please help me.

Đồng phục CANIFA 2015
Edited
15/03/2017 by Moderator
LindaH
LindaH
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (176 reputation)Supreme Being (176 reputation)Supreme Being (176 reputation)Supreme Being (176 reputation)Supreme Being (176 reputation)Supreme Being (176 reputation)Supreme Being (176 reputation)Supreme Being (176 reputation)Supreme Being (176 reputation)

Take away tv, pc, tablet/ipad, and phone. I did! Home is now awesome Tongue
sushi
sushi
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (102 reputation)Supreme Being (102 reputation)Supreme Being (102 reputation)Supreme Being (102 reputation)Supreme Being (102 reputation)Supreme Being (102 reputation)Supreme Being (102 reputation)Supreme Being (102 reputation)Supreme Being (102 reputation)

You are the parent, so therefore take away his gaming system, computer or TV.

Set up some rules and time limits for how long he can game for, if he doesnt comply with the rules then threaten to sell the gaming devices and follow through on the threat if need be.
MetalGirlKatt
MetalGirlKatt
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)

Limit his time on his games.

My son was spending alot of time in front of the screen, so i limited him to 1 hour on his PS3 and 30mins on his Ipod or Computer. Works for us.
Liss3
Liss3
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (57 reputation)Forum Guru (57 reputation)Forum Guru (57 reputation)Forum Guru (57 reputation)Forum Guru (57 reputation)Forum Guru (57 reputation)Forum Guru (57 reputation)Forum Guru (57 reputation)Forum Guru (57 reputation)

I understand how you feel fasmenow89.

My son is almost 15. I have managed to go all these years without the gaming issue, until late last year when he started playing an online game, League of Legends, with a few school friends. He was addicted almost immediately. Everything revolves around that game. If he's not playing it, he is watching youtube videos of other people playing it.

He has changed as a person, he is disrespectful, angry all the time, arks up at the house rules. It has caused so much grief in our house. I can't bare it any more.

Yesterday was mothers day, and he preferred to stay at home with his computer, than have morning tea with his grandmothers and me.

I'm really in despair,

I have tried, taking it away. Giving it as a reward. Having reasonable time limits.

I'm trying to be a fair mother. I don't want to stop him having fun. But I can't seem to find a happy medium.

I've lost my puff. I just feel like I've failed.

bishopcl
bishopcl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)Forum Guru (51 reputation)

I have a similar problem, I cannot reason with him. Someone suggested internet filters but I don't know much about them. I keep threatening to take his devices but just can't bring myself to do it.
yan12
yan12
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)

with technology and social media all over nowadays, i bet these are common problems parents face. I think there's nothing wrong with games/online gaming as long as it's not too much. Have you tried enforcing a schedule for going online or playing games?
yan12
yan12
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)Supreme Being (108 reputation)

I think I responded something here but wasn't posted Sad
DanielWhite01
DanielWhite01
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (255 reputation)Supreme Being (255 reputation)Supreme Being (255 reputation)Supreme Being (255 reputation)Supreme Being (255 reputation)Supreme Being (255 reputation)Supreme Being (255 reputation)Supreme Being (255 reputation)Supreme Being (255 reputation)

Don't be panic! and be calm. Your are not the alone facing this situation. Explain the limits and consequences to your son. Let him know that he will choose the consequences with his behavior. Also spend lots of time with him.

Kids Health and Fitness
AdelaideParent
AdelaideParent
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)

Set the rules and boundaries for games, you are the parent and have that authority. Don't be aggressive about it simply do it an a calm and fair way.

Custom Kid Cakes
GO