When Is My Child Ready for a Smartphone?

When Is My Child Ready for a Smartphone?

Author
Amandascott
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (192 reputation)Supreme Being (192 reputation)Supreme Being (192 reputation)Supreme Being (192 reputation)Supreme Being (192 reputation)Supreme Being (192 reputation)Supreme Being (192 reputation)Supreme Being (192 reputation)Supreme Being (192 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hy..I am Amandascott new user...I am a mother of 13 years old girl.I want to discuss this what is right age of a child to use a smartphone..Children under the age of 14 should NOT be given a smartphone unless the parent is going to engage completely...and I'm not sure parents understand what that means.
bundschueuy1
bundschueuy1
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (73 reputation)Forum Guru (73 reputation)Forum Guru (73 reputation)Forum Guru (73 reputation)Forum Guru (73 reputation)Forum Guru (73 reputation)Forum Guru (73 reputation)Forum Guru (73 reputation)Forum Guru (73 reputation)

Hi! I have a daughter. She is 11. Almost all her classmates have already had smartphones. They also play games on their tablets or iPads during breaks. My daughter Jessica has iPhone, but she uses it quite cleverly. She browses news, reads different blogs (not only about the fashion subject). At first I followed all her steps, tracked what she was searching for in the Internet.

But once I face up with the article that children of Steve Job, Larry Page, Bill Gates and many other techno guru do not use any gadgets at all! Now I am into two minds)))
DanielWhite01
DanielWhite01
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (893 reputation)Supreme Being (893 reputation)Supreme Being (893 reputation)Supreme Being (893 reputation)Supreme Being (893 reputation)Supreme Being (893 reputation)Supreme Being (893 reputation)Supreme Being (893 reputation)Supreme Being (893 reputation)

It completely depends on you because you know the behaviour of your child. One more thing is that smartphones help children keep in touch with their parents.

Kids Health and Fitness
AdelaideParent
AdelaideParent
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (487 reputation)Supreme Being (487 reputation)Supreme Being (487 reputation)Supreme Being (487 reputation)Supreme Being (487 reputation)Supreme Being (487 reputation)Supreme Being (487 reputation)Supreme Being (487 reputation)Supreme Being (487 reputation)

I was in the anti-smartphone side of the fence for a long time but unfortunately have accepted that 13-14 is the age of smartphone appropriateness. It's all in the delivery and education of how to use them in moderation, they are a handy communication device.

Custom Kid Cakes
babybibsplus
babybibsplus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)

My kids got a phone when they started getting involved in extracurricular activities in school and had to stay for practice or other events so that they would have a way to get a hold of me if something came up.
Gregory Wilson
Gregory Wilson
Forum Member
Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)

I think smartphones shoudn't be introduced too early. Probably ~14-16 when your child has more responsibility and self control.

sunstone
sunstone
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

my daughter is already 14 and we already gave her a phone. we gave her one so she can text or call us in case of emergency or if she has activities in school 
GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search