who should teach teens about money?

who should teach teens about money?

Author
jeromanomic
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (105 reputation)Supreme Being (105 reputation)Supreme Being (105 reputation)Supreme Being (105 reputation)Supreme Being (105 reputation)Supreme Being (105 reputation)Supreme Being (105 reputation)Supreme Being (105 reputation)Supreme Being (105 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I read this and it maked an interesting point. Understanding how money works is unfortunately an important skill. I don't know if schools teach it, but should it be up to the school or us to teach our kids this stuff?

http://www.finance-guy.net/articles/what-do-kids-know-about-money/11/7/2014

I'd like to teach our kids more about money, but don't know where to start. Any tips on how to get a 15 year old interested in this?
jacksceusa
jacksceusa
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)

I think parents are the best teachers who can teach kids importance of money. Money is something without which we can't be able to put a single step forward. Importance of money can be taught to teens by parents from their daily life experiences.

Edited
29/07/2014 by Moderator
babybibsplus
babybibsplus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

The parents should be the first ones to teach a child about money. In some high schools they have economics classes that are great for that also.
studybooster
studybooster
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)

Exactly, parents are the best teachers & they only can teach their kids about money.

How important it is & how to manage it?

You should teach them that earning money is too much hard & encourage them to start earn money while learning. Tell them about the sponsorship program from which they can earn money for purchasing necessary things to study.
HomerBluth
HomerBluth
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)

studybooster - 15 July 2016 2:19 PM
Exactly, parents are the best teachers & they only can teach their kids about money.
How important it is & how to manage it?

You should teach them that earning money is too much hard & encourage them to start earn money while learning. Tell them about the sponsorship program from which they can earn money for purchasing necessary things to study.

Money should be taught by example by the parents.  Also making your children earn money by doing chores is a great way of teaching about money.  
dropoflife
dropoflife
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)

PARENTS should be the first teacher of their children therefore while your children are young, educate them how to save money. 
PeterRaker
PeterRaker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (155 reputation)Supreme Being (155 reputation)Supreme Being (155 reputation)Supreme Being (155 reputation)Supreme Being (155 reputation)Supreme Being (155 reputation)Supreme Being (155 reputation)Supreme Being (155 reputation)Supreme Being (155 reputation)

teaching money should be when they are very young.. the concept of finances is both a practice and an ingrained series of beliefs.  both parents should get involved.
che_32
che_32
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)

PeterRaker - 25/05/2017
teaching money should be when they are very young.. the concept of finances is both a practice and an ingrained series of beliefs.  both parents should get involved.

I totally agree. It's always best to educate children about money at a young age. 
Nancy0115
Nancy0115
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)

che_32 - 18/06/2017
PeterRaker - 25/05/2017

I totally agree. It's always best to educate children about money at a young age. 

Many kids never learn about money, investing, or saving.  I think if we could teach our kids financial literacy, they would build good habits and could be really successful.  I was fortunate enough to have some mentors that taught me, and I always try to pay it forward and help teach kids about retirement, investing, and managing money so they won’t get in trouble. 

Look at the difference in money if someone waits just 5 years to start saving: https://preparemykid.com/lesson/how-to-start-a-retirement-account/

Edited
10/07/2017 by Moderator
che_32
che_32
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)Supreme Being (230 reputation)

Nancy0115 - 07/07/2017
che_32 - 18/06/2017
PeterRaker - 25/05/2017

Many kids never learn about money, investing, or saving.  I think if we could teach our kids financial literacy, they would build good habits and could be really successful.  I was fortunate enough to have some mentors that taught me, and I always try to pay it forward and help teach kids about retirement, investing, and managing money so they won’t get in trouble. 

Look at the difference in money if someone waits just 5 years to start saving: https://preparemykid.com/lesson/how-to-start-a-retirement-account/

True! That's why most kids nowadays simply spend money without understanding the worth of it. Personally, I was lucky because at a young age, I was taught how to value money and spend it wisely... And when I started making my own money, I value it even more! It's different when it comes from hard work! Smile
GO