Does my daughter really need eyeglasses?

Does my daughter really need eyeglasses?

Author
tossnara
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (139 reputation)Supreme Being (139 reputation)Supreme Being (139 reputation)Supreme Being (139 reputation)Supreme Being (139 reputation)Supreme Being (139 reputation)Supreme Being (139 reputation)Supreme Being (139 reputation)Supreme Being (139 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Has anyone ever experienced having a child who suddenly needed eyeglasses at the age of 13? This just happened to our youngest daughter. She used to use my iPad a lot of hours a day, at the very beginning I didn’t realize the danger and control of the time she spend on the iPad. Now her sight have begin to deteriorate

The doctor reassured us that this was normal and the best way to prevent vision loss is wearing computer eyewear. He explained to us that the harmful blue light emitted from the screens (iPad, PC etc.)

I bought a pair of eyeglasses from Taime Optics for her, they claim that the eyeglasses can block 97% of blue light, it’s effective but I'm a bit worried about how she will handle the adjustment of suddenly having to wear glasses - do kids still do the "four eyes" sort of teasing? Middles school is such a weird time anyway.

Could it be a vitamin deficiency of any kind? Could it be a sign of something else going on - diabetes or something?

(Yes, I am one of those moms that leans towards worrying too much over my daughter, and lately I've just been sort of not trusting doctors as much as I used to. Long story - several recent and bad experiences.)

babybibsplus
babybibsplus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)Supreme Being (4.9K reputation)

If you are that concerned then go get a second opinion. I don't think the name calling and teasing over glasses is that bad any more. There are a lot of kids that wear glasses, but you could always check on contacts.
elmapeter099
elmapeter099
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (135 reputation)Supreme Being (135 reputation)Supreme Being (135 reputation)Supreme Being (135 reputation)Supreme Being (135 reputation)Supreme Being (135 reputation)Supreme Being (135 reputation)Supreme Being (135 reputation)Supreme Being (135 reputation)

It relies on upon whether the vision is uncorrected or redressed. In the event that it must be treated properly, then it is critical to get the correct glasses and utilize fixing or some other treatment like drops. It will useful for sure!
janetdevlin72
janetdevlin72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

You should seek for a second option. That's a good thing to do.
pookie
pookie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (352 reputation)Supreme Being (352 reputation)Supreme Being (352 reputation)Supreme Being (352 reputation)Supreme Being (352 reputation)Supreme Being (352 reputation)Supreme Being (352 reputation)Supreme Being (352 reputation)Supreme Being (352 reputation)

I agree - you should get a 2nd opinion and if the 2nd opinion disagrees with your original doctor, go to a 3rd doctor and see what they say. Hopefully at least 2 of the 3 will agree and you can relax a little. Smile
sunstone
sunstone
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

My daughter is also wearing eyeglasses; she is only 14. she reads a lot and even reads while lying down which is not right according to the doctor. Never let hear read, use the iPad or watch tv while lying down, the doctor said it strains our eyes 
GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search