My 4 year old boy wants to be a girl

My 4 year old boy wants to be a girl

Author
MM888
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I would love some constructive advice please. My four and a half year old says he wants to be a girl. He doesn't say it all the time but at least once a day. He asks to dress up in my skirts, beads etc which I let him do usually daily. About half his play time he plays with cars, trucks his bike etc. And the other half he plays with his little sisters dolls and dresses up. We haven't been too concerned but I am worried he will get teased when he goes to school next year. When he has friends over he continues to play with the dolls and his friends have just started to notice and comment. When he goes to friends houses that have girls he always dresses up in their princess dresses and gets annoyed when we leave and he has to take them off. I don't want to change him, I want him to play and explore and be who he needs to be. But I don't know how to prevent him getting teased by his friends and how to explain that his behaviour may cause him to be teased. Thanks
Elplus3
Elplus3
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (127 reputation)Supreme Being (127 reputation)Supreme Being (127 reputation)Supreme Being (127 reputation)Supreme Being (127 reputation)Supreme Being (127 reputation)Supreme Being (127 reputation)Supreme Being (127 reputation)Supreme Being (127 reputation)

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just saw your post and thought I'd reply even though it's been a while since you posted it.

I have a 4 year old boy with two older sisters. While he's never said anything about wanting to be a girl he's not been adverse to dressing up in their old dress ups, or wearing necklaces, rings or a flower clip in his hair or whatever.

I'd say it's not unusual. He may indeed get teased once he starts school and starts making new friends, but if he's confident within himself he won't care. There will probably be a few kids in his class that are like-minded or not judgemental and he'll make friends with those kids-or, play with the girls.

His own confidene and sense of self will determine how he deals with his curious or unkind peers. Is he in Kinder? It's good to have him in a inder where a god percentage of the ids will be attending his same primary school. If you can get a couple of kids he'll be in prep with, invite them over or have play-date ALOT.

Hopefully at least one will 'stick' and he'l have a best friend early. Non competitive sports (my son wants to do gymnastics) are great confidence builders too, and a little 'leg up' with his letters and numbers before starting school will make him feel good about himself acedemicly also.

Once a child feels like they are 'IT, and a bit' and have plenty of love and support, and a couple of good friends-teasing can't touch them.

Ctls_Rajesh
Ctls_Rajesh
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (578 reputation)Supreme Being (578 reputation)Supreme Being (578 reputation)Supreme Being (578 reputation)Supreme Being (578 reputation)Supreme Being (578 reputation)Supreme Being (578 reputation)Supreme Being (578 reputation)Supreme Being (578 reputation)

Hey,

Don't worry about it. This is normal I have a good experience about it, your child is so young and this is hobbies for him.
petersiddle526
petersiddle526
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (671 reputation)Supreme Being (671 reputation)Supreme Being (671 reputation)Supreme Being (671 reputation)Supreme Being (671 reputation)Supreme Being (671 reputation)Supreme Being (671 reputation)Supreme Being (671 reputation)Supreme Being (671 reputation)

Dont't worry about children activity, at this time he 4.5 years only, once increase age then activity is changed.

central coast steiner school

thisismrsc
thisismrsc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)Forum Guru (63 reputation)

My 4 yo son likes fairies, girlie dress ups and he also likes cars, trains. I wouldn't be too concerned. I know a lot of boys this age that like the finer things in life. Smile

babybibsplus
babybibsplus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)

He is four years old and he doesn't understand genders. Don't panic, he will change his mind about things as he gets older and gets involved in school and sports and other things. He is acting like a normal four year old
Sgreg098
Sgreg098
Forum Member
Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)

I’m wondering now that it has been several years since you posted, what has happened with your son. Looking for advice as I’m in a similar situation. Thank you!
AnitaBragge
AnitaBragge
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (122 reputation)Supreme Being (122 reputation)Supreme Being (122 reputation)Supreme Being (122 reputation)Supreme Being (122 reputation)Supreme Being (122 reputation)Supreme Being (122 reputation)Supreme Being (122 reputation)Supreme Being (122 reputation)

MM888 - 06/10/2013
I would love some constructive advice please. My four and a half year old says he wants to be a girl. He doesn't say it all the time but at least once a day. He asks to dress up in my skirts, beads etc which I let him do usually daily. About half his play time he plays with cars, trucks his bike etc. And the other half he plays with his little sisters dolls and dresses up. We haven't been too concerned but I am worried he will get teased when he goes to school next year. When he has friends over he continues to play with the dolls and his friends have just started to notice and comment. When he goes to friends houses that have girls he always dresses up in their princess dresses and gets annoyed when we leave and he has to take them off. I don't want to change him, I want him to play and explore and be who he needs to be. But I don't know how to prevent him getting teased by his friends and how to explain that his behaviour may cause him to be teased. Thanks

Children get teased for all kinds of things. Let him be himself and grow up confident in himself. Many boys and girls don't fit the typical boy / girl gender. He may change but he needs to have the strength to be himself. 
Sgreg098
Sgreg098
Forum Member
Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)

Thanks for replying!! Does your son still say he wants to be a girl? Have you found any advice to avoid the teasing if he does still tend to be drawn toward the “girl” things?
GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search