My baby hates the pram

My baby hates the pram

Author
MamaSmurf
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

My little 5 mo son hates the pram. He's never liked it, and although I've tried to live without it, I'm starting to really wish things could be different. He's getting too heavy to carry around in the baby carrier, and I really want to start taking him to the park for walks so I can get some exercise and he can get some fresh air.

As soon as I put him in he starts screaming. He's always hated it, and he also used to hate the carseat but somehow got used to the carseat. I'm not sure if I perservered with the pram if he'd eventually like it too, but it sends shivers up me when he starts crying, and I don't have the strength to walk while he's that distraught.

I don't know what to do. I have tried just trying to walk while he cries and ignore him, but he doesn't let up, he'll cry for as long as I walk! (He has a good sleep afterward though! Smile)

Have any other mums had this situation and overcome it? I don't know if as he grows older he might just one day decide he likes it? Can anyone help me??!!! 

To sleep, per chance to dream....

DS 24th November 2006

Stan53
Stan53
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)Supreme Being (3.4K reputation)

Just a thought, but can your boy see you when he is in the pram. Most prams I know of have the child facing away from you. If he can't see you then he will think you have left him even if he can hear your voice.

I would imagine you have done all the usual checks, like is he comfortable, can he see out and so on?

Both of our girls dislike the pram and we carried our elkdest until she was 10 months then she just had to get use to the pram. We were on holiday interstate, and our pram was at home. We bought a new one and when we did we made sure we bought one with a reversable handle so she could see us.

I hope this helps. Others may have other ideas. I do know allowing a child to cry for long periods is not good for the nerves.

Stan, Stephanie's husband, Michele's (05/01/2004)dad; Catherine's (27/02/2007) dad,Timothy's (03/09/2010 dad!

MamaSmurf
MamaSmurf
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)Supreme Being (264 reputation)

Thanks for your help. I have tried him forward and backward facing, but he cries as soon as I put him in the seat. He must have a negative association with it now, because he won't even give it a chance.  I thought that if he was facing me he would feel better looking at me, and then I thought if he looks outward he might get distracted by the outside world, but he cries both ways. Sometimes he might last a little while in it, maybe 5 mins, but he eventually cries. I've tried giving him toys to play with, reclining him, sitting him up, stopping and giving him a reassuring cuddle, putting him in there when he's fully fed and ready for a sleep... all end in tears (both of us!)

DS 24th November 2006

fletchmiche
fletchmiche
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel.  My son hated the pram until he was about 6 1/2 months old.  I was worried that over-use of my baby bjorn carrier had created the situation, but I dont think so.  He now loves the pram.  I had a friend with a similar pattern, so maybe it will change in a month or so. 
MamaSmurf
MamaSmurf
Supreme Being

Thanks Fletchmiche for the light! Can I ask you what you thought brought on the change? Was it when your son could sit up on his own, or maybe just when his attention was developed enough? Also, did you keep trying every so often? I am getting to the point where everytime I try and he just cries, it pushes me another few weeks away from trying again. I almost sold the pram on ebay the other day I was THAT ready to give up! I guess I shoudl just keep persisting!

Thanks again!

DS 24th November 2006

Nataliesmum
Nataliesmum
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.3K reputation)Supreme Being (2.3K reputation)Supreme Being (2.3K reputation)Supreme Being (2.3K reputation)Supreme Being (2.3K reputation)Supreme Being (2.3K reputation)Supreme Being (2.3K reputation)Supreme Being (2.3K reputation)Supreme Being (2.3K reputation)

This won't be any help but I'm in EXACTLY the same situation and misery loves company!!BigGrin

My DD is 4 months old and I have given up on the pram about 6 weeks ago. Like yours mine also hated the carseat but got used to it overnight (although as it was a hire capsule we are back to square one with our new car seat!!). I would also love to hear if this is something they decide to outgrow on their own or if you have to keep strapping them in and taking ear plugs on walks!!

fletchmiche
fletchmiche
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)Supreme Being (524 reputation)

I dont think it was anything that I did that made him change his mind.  I think it was just growing up a little more, sitting more confidently and looking around.  I dont think you should put the pram on e-bay just yet! Smile 
abc and me
abc and me
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

Hi there, sorry to ask the obvious but do you have the same problem with a different pram?  Can you borrow one and see if you have more success with a different style?  I have a u-beaut pram that cost me a small fortune for DS3 and I am less than impressed with it.  I find that the strapping that holds the harness in place is in the wrong spot and can't be comfortable on bub's head so I put a folded baby wrap under him so he has a nice soft surface to lie on.  Seems to make him more comfortable.  As for the car seat, are you sure he is not strapped in too tightly or is there some inner support cushions that are actually making the seat uncomfortable?  You could always try a back mounted baby carrier like hikers use, a friend of mine had great success with one of these.
MamaSmurf
MamaSmurf
Supreme Being

I've thought about using a different pram, but I'd have to hire one. I spent alot of money on the one I've got (that he hates) but I've often wondered if it's the seat section that he doesn't like because it doesn't layback, only recline in a permanent "L" position (if that makes sense!)

Thanks for your advice, I'll look into hiring a different one just for a week or so and give it a go.

Cheers.

DS 24th November 2006

abhibbert
abhibbert
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (118 reputation)Supreme Being (118 reputation)Supreme Being (118 reputation)Supreme Being (118 reputation)Supreme Being (118 reputation)Supreme Being (118 reputation)Supreme Being (118 reputation)Supreme Being (118 reputation)Supreme Being (118 reputation)

Hi,

My 6 month old often gets unsettled in the pram. I recently bought an Ergo and it is the best baby product in the world. You can carry kids until they are 28kg! It is heaps more comfortable than other baby carriers I have tried. Now, when I head out for a walk with my bub in the pram, I put the Ergo in the under carriage. Most times, he ends up attached to me, and loves it. Now, he is my little koala.

Hope it helps,

'Just love him as much as you can'

... my favourite advice and daily mission

GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search