Rude disrespectful 12yr old - being rude at school

Rude disrespectful 12yr old - being rude at school

Author
pullingmyhairout
Forum Member
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I had a parent interview with my sons teacher this morning and was totally shocked, and angry at what she told me.  My son who has always struggled with school work has now started to be rude to his teachers.

Since being in this class he has changed, and my husband and I (as well as the teacher) feels its more to do with the people he is spending time with.  He is always on at us to let him go out with his friends on his own, and we feel hes not old enough yet to be haning around at the shopping centre or the skate park on his own with his friends (hes 12).

He has started being rude to us and swearing, and I dont know where to start!!!

The teacher is going to start a behaviour log and e-mail to me every week which I am pleased about.

Can anyone give me some good advice please????

Alltogether
Alltogether
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (568 reputation)Supreme Being (568 reputation)Supreme Being (568 reputation)Supreme Being (568 reputation)Supreme Being (568 reputation)Supreme Being (568 reputation)Supreme Being (568 reputation)Supreme Being (568 reputation)Supreme Being (568 reputation)

Wow. That must be awful for you to hear, particularly if he's been ok, behaviour wise, at school before now.

I agree with you that 12yrs old is too young to be hanging around shops etc. However, whatever we agree or disagree with, if they are your rules, then stick to them! 12 years old is still young enough to do as they are told.

I don't have a lot of advice, although expect I may be watching this thread as my 12 year old stepson is starting to go through the rude/attitudey stage too. Hormones, friends who do more than they do, internet etc. It can all contribute.

I believe for us, we need to step up the discipline NOW. And make sure that he knows exactly the consequences for his behaviour. Which will mean a sit down, write it down, talk with him. If you do this, this will happen, the second time, this will happen. All the while stepping it up.

Determine too, what his "currency" is. What will have an impact on him if it were taken away? Pocket money? X-box? I just think if we let it go at 12 yrs old, what will they be like at 15yrs old? (and being that I have two kids, 15 & 17yrs, I've been there done that!)
aleysha
aleysha
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)

This must be difficult to hear from someone not related to your family and telling you that your son has been behaving badly. Your son might have been going through something to have become disrespectful to others. I know how this must feel but I think it's time to step up and not let your son get away with this kind of behavior. I've read in an article that correcting them early on is good way to call their attention and set them straight.
babybibsplus
babybibsplus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

Sit down and talk to him and let him know that you will not have him being disrespectful at home nor at school and that he will be punished for it. Take away his phone, computer and games as punishment. He is just at that age when kids start talking back and acting out. It starts at around twelve and sometimes last until they are around sixteen. It's best to get control of it now or it will get worse. Taking away there means of texting and getting online usually works.
Voltaire
Voltaire
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (573 reputation)Supreme Being (573 reputation)Supreme Being (573 reputation)Supreme Being (573 reputation)Supreme Being (573 reputation)Supreme Being (573 reputation)Supreme Being (573 reputation)Supreme Being (573 reputation)Supreme Being (573 reputation)

Agree, at 12 you need to take action, otherwise it could only get worse. Totally agree with the comment above about 'currency'. What does he value most and what can you control? He needs to know there are real consequences. Good luck.
mally124
mally124
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)Forum Guru (66 reputation)

This is terrible. I have a 10 years old daughter and I fear for her future. How can we prevent from such things happening ?
Nancy0115
Nancy0115
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)Forum Guru (70 reputation)

I talk with a lot of parents, and they tell me their kids talk back to them and disrespect them.  I’ve seen it too.  I’m not sure why, but a lot of kids don’t have the respect for adults like they did when I was growing up.

I also think kids don’t learn communication skills like how to talk to someone if you’re upset or having a bad day, or how to have an adult conversation if you disagree with someone or don’t understand them.

I’ve worked with a lot of kids, and they mean well, but many of them just don’t know how to express themselves or their feelings and emotions.  The interesting thing is that they only need a small push in the right direction to do well.

[link removed by Moderator]
Edited
25/07/2017 by Moderator
GO