Weighted blankets?

Weighted blankets?

Author
aurea
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I am looking at getting J (12 yr old) a weighted blanket.

Has anyone here used one? If so did it help or not?

My OT has mentioned them to me several times now, and told me to order it threw "nannas weighted blankets". I've looked the site up and I'm looking at forking out $300 for one. J has tried a small lap blanket that the OT lent us for a week, and he loved it. BigGrin

I was also wondering about warmth. Are they warm enough for winter or cool enough for summer? How does that work?

J currently has to sleep with 2 donas on, an air con (for noise and cooling) and he is still up and down all night pacing and doing stretching exercises. He tells me he over heats, I have heard that some spectrum kids/people have troubles with internal temp control.

Just just wanted to know what your experiences are.

cheers Aurea xxx

Mum of 2 beautiful boy's;

C. 21 yrs, AS, LD and asthma

J. 12 yrs, AS,ADHD,OCD,GAD,Tourettes +(other medical issues)
SashaF
SashaF
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (282 reputation)Supreme Being (282 reputation)Supreme Being (282 reputation)Supreme Being (282 reputation)Supreme Being (282 reputation)Supreme Being (282 reputation)Supreme Being (282 reputation)Supreme Being (282 reputation)Supreme Being (282 reputation)

I hadn't heard of the blankets, but they sure do look interesting. 

I do know that DD has always been a hot and sweaty child - right from when she was born, she has always been like that, and I have often called her my little hot water bottle.

Sasha

Wife to DH - Type 1 diabetic

Mum to DD(4) - now Dx Aspergers

and DS(2) - NT but asthmatic

Life is never dull around here!

gillsmail
gillsmail
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (271 reputation)Supreme Being (271 reputation)Supreme Being (271 reputation)Supreme Being (271 reputation)Supreme Being (271 reputation)Supreme Being (271 reputation)Supreme Being (271 reputation)Supreme Being (271 reputation)Supreme Being (271 reputation)

Hi Aurea,

We bought a weighted blanket for our boy last year.  We bought ours through skillbuilders, through FASCHIA, through our OT>

At that time, DS was having meltdowns regularly during the day, and would ask for the "blue blanket" to wrap himself up in to calm himself down.  It also definitely helped him off to sleep.  (He kicks all blankets off during sleep, so it doesn't keep him asleep.)

Our blanket is cotton (like a doubled-over sheet), with stainless steel pellets inside.  We chose that one because it's washable and we live in Queensland... 

We think it has helped heaps.  Worth a go anyway.  Sleep deprivation is awful.

Good luck!

Gill Smile

DS - 4 (PDDNOS - language delay)

DD - 2

scoobyroo
scoobyroo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (256 reputation)Supreme Being (256 reputation)Supreme Being (256 reputation)Supreme Being (256 reputation)Supreme Being (256 reputation)Supreme Being (256 reputation)Supreme Being (256 reputation)Supreme Being (256 reputation)Supreme Being (256 reputation)

yes, have ordered one as recommended by the O/T via sensorytools.net - so popular, just waiting delivery. Using HCWA funding for it as so expensive. 

Michelle xx

DS 13yo Aspie  Cool

DD 8yo NT (waiting for paed appt 28 July) Kiss

DS 6yo Aspie ADHD Oral Dyspraxia Smooooth

TakeTwo
TakeTwo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)Supreme Being (1K reputation)

Our OT actually has one that they lend out for trials. I had one for a week. Then I showed it to my mum because she can sew and she made one. James' blanket has little pockets that hold little bags. The little bags usually have weights in them, but my mum found the plastic fish tank pellets and used 2kg of those. They work really well and are washable. She already had a heap of material, so all up the blanket cost her $8 (and a bit of time) to make.

If you can lend one, maybe you can figure out how to make them. There is a backing piece, and the pockets are actually just strips that overlap. Then the little square bags hold the weights.

James really likes his blanket, but TBH I don't think it is making a huge difference. He does settle a little quicker at night, but he has always been a heavy sleeper (just an early riser). Mum made the blanket with light material so I can use it in summer if need be. For now it just lays on top of his light quilt.

Heidi (Mum to 4.5yo DS PDD-NOS & 1.5yo DD NT)w00t
aurea
aurea
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)

Thanks for the replies guys. BigGrin It's now 4.09am, sleep is a thing of the past lol.

I'm hoping it will work, if so I will try it on my older son who is also aspie and has major sleep issues. If it helps both I guess I'll have to order another. Sad Man autism/asperger's is sooo

expensive!!!!!! I wish I had funding!!! Wink

I'm still not sure how it works with warmth, will he need another blanket on? I'm actually looking at a king single for him (hence the hefty price tag) If I do have to put another blanket on him for warmth wouldn't that change the weight? They say it should be 10% of body weight.

Hmmm questions questions.

Once again thank you.

Mum of 2 beautiful boy's;

C. 21 yrs, AS, LD and asthma

J. 12 yrs, AS,ADHD,OCD,GAD,Tourettes +(other medical issues)
AussieChickie
AussieChickie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

Hi, I am a distributor for Nana's Weighted Blankets in the south eastern suburbs/Mornington Peninsula areas of Melbourne.

I recently tried one of the blankets for myself so I knew how they felt and I had the best nights sleep I had had in months. The blanket is like having someone hold you so very comforting. Nana's Weighted Blankets use plastic pellets which are better and healthier than steel or other weights that a lot of other companies use. The blankets are washable and don't really provide a lot of warmth in the colder months. When I tried the one from my kit I just put it over the blankets I usually use to sleep.

If you have any questions about Weighted Blankets I am more than happy to answer then, just send me PM

Rachie (single mum to 2 beautiful boys)

spannah
spannah
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (149 reputation)Supreme Being (149 reputation)Supreme Being (149 reputation)Supreme Being (149 reputation)Supreme Being (149 reputation)Supreme Being (149 reputation)Supreme Being (149 reputation)Supreme Being (149 reputation)Supreme Being (149 reputation)

Hi, new here and find it great place for mothers. Although its an old thread but my question is related to it that, could we use quilt and blanket together?, if its pretty hot? Shouldn't it over-weight.

But i think its okay to cover my kid from winter season!

Love Animals!
rupertmind
rupertmind
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)

I have been using a whole range of weighted blankets the past 2 years.

Whenever I was stressed at work I would not be able to sleep which would then make me more stressed. It was a vicious cycle.

I now buy weighted blankets for my kids and they honestly love them! 

Be careful to buy a quality brand! Some are poorly made and an uncomfortable fabric.
GO

Reading This Topic

© 2006-2016 Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. All rights reserved.
Warning: This website and the information it contains is not intended as a substitute for professional consultation with a qualified practitioner.
Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Select a Forum....

Raising Children Network

Search