Toothbrushing Success

Toothbrushing Success

Author
shazza
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

It's always been a battle to brush Harri's teeth properly. The other day despite being dubious I thought I would buy him an electric toothbrush to see if it made any difference. It has. He loves it. I have to limit his use of it. So thought others, if they are having similar problems might want to try one. I know some kids would freak out, but for the sensory seekers out there it might be worth a shot.

Sharon, mum to DD 21 (NT) DD 9 (Aspie) DS 5 (HFA)Hehe

http://sharon-theawfultruth.blogspot.com

mylittlemen
mylittlemen
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (541 reputation)Supreme Being (541 reputation)Supreme Being (541 reputation)Supreme Being (541 reputation)Supreme Being (541 reputation)Supreme Being (541 reputation)Supreme Being (541 reputation)Supreme Being (541 reputation)Supreme Being (541 reputation)

Thats fantastic i still haven't tried the electric one yet as we all use it. what im finding hard to teach him is to spit the water not swollow. he spits after he swollows!

DD 14years old - NT

DS 12years old - atypical autism (behaviour and communication) ADHD - Ritalin

DS 3 years old - Mod ASD

shazza
shazza
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)

Ha ha, Harri does that too. Thats why I'll stick with the kids toothpaste until he can get the hang of spitting. I got Harri a Spiderman Toothbrush, not sure it it makes any difference but the novelty aspect did seem to help.

Sharon, mum to DD 21 (NT) DD 9 (Aspie) DS 5 (HFA)Hehe

http://sharon-theawfultruth.blogspot.com
TakeTwo
TakeTwo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (537 reputation)Supreme Being (537 reputation)Supreme Being (537 reputation)Supreme Being (537 reputation)Supreme Being (537 reputation)Supreme Being (537 reputation)Supreme Being (537 reputation)Supreme Being (537 reputation)Supreme Being (537 reputation)

James isn't too bad with the tooth brushing. He is scared of the electric ones because it sounds like the hair clippers (he runs away saying 'no hair cut' LOL). I started just by letting him play with the tooth brush, and letting him chew on it (he really only started doing that when I put the kids toothpaste on it). Now he mimics me and tries to brush his teeth, and only just recently is he letting me have a quick turn. It doesn't last long but at least we are getting some of it done.

Heidi (Mum to 4.5yo DS PDD-NOS & 1.5yo DD NT)w00t
nan2two
nan2two
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

I'm glad that you have had a victory with this one SharonSmile We also have had major difficulties with brushing teeth. We tried the electric toothbrush when GS was Harri's age but he was frightened by the noise and vibrating sensation in his mouth. He finally took to it when he was near four yrs old. We still have minor battles with the teeth brushing but we manage to achieve a simple job by asking him to do the AH shape with his mouth while making the Aah sound, followed by the EEH sound and mouth shape.  He seems to relate to this simple methodSmile

Nan to two gorgeous grandkids who add a new delightful flavour to our lives,

gs(4 yrs,asd) gd (2yrs,nt )Tongue Tongue       

Harriet
Harriet
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

My nine year-old has just had a developmental leap with this sort of thing.

I've been brushing his teeth for years because he didn't enjoy it at all, but all of a sudden he's taken to doing it twice a day. He's having showers now instead of baths and is even washing his own hair BigGrin

It seems he's enamoured by the whole procedure. He showers then hops out and dries himself, then puts the towel on and enjoys standing in front of mirror taking his time to brush his teeth - I bought him an electric one to celebrate.

Last night in bed he remembered that he hadn't brushed and couldn't settle until I let him get up to do it - wonders will never cease! Tongue

Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Danette
Danette
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (167 reputation)Supreme Being (167 reputation)Supreme Being (167 reputation)Supreme Being (167 reputation)Supreme Being (167 reputation)Supreme Being (167 reputation)Supreme Being (167 reputation)Supreme Being (167 reputation)Supreme Being (167 reputation)

Luckily i don't have this problem i have two small children and they have always liked brushing there teeth. Take your child to buy a new tooth brush one that lights up or has there fav character on it.

Dr. Kevin Cook DDS, MS

3108 W. Deyoung St., Suite A

Marion, IL 62959

618-997-6640
Wilma Quixote
Wilma Quixote
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)Supreme Being (107 reputation)

Glad to hear about the success with the electric toothbrush! That's an interesting way to get a problem fixed.
Tags
jackieboy
jackieboy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Harriet - 21/04/2011
My nine year-old has just had a developmental leap with this sort of thing.

I've been brushing his teeth for years because he didn't enjoy it at all, but all of a sudden he's taken to doing it twice a day. He's having showers now instead of baths and is even washing his own hair BigGrin

It seems he's enamoured by the whole procedure. He showers then hops out and dries himself, then puts the towel on and enjoys standing in front of mirror taking his time to brush his teeth - I bought him an electric one to celebrate.

Last night in bed he remembered that he hadn't brushed and couldn't settle until I let him get up to do it - wonders will never cease! Tongue

My son (12) gags on his toothbrush, has just managed to be able to shower and wash his hair in the last year or so.  Still have to turn the shower on for him though.  And no, we do not have a bath tub, so shower is only option.

GO