When to move on from Bassinet ???

When to move on from Bassinet ???

Author
cathyd2203
Forum Member
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi my bub is 7 weeks old and he is my first. At the moment he is sleeping in a bassinet in our room next to me. I have found this good having him so close because i can get up to him quickly without him becoming too upset and i can hear him during the night so i know that he is ok. I am just wondering how long people have left babies in the bassinet before moving into a cot. His cot is in his own bedroom which is for me is more the issue as i like to have him close (there is not room for the cot in our bedroom). Any ideas and advice would be great. At the moment i'm thinking at least 12 weeks in the bassinett...is this too long? Is there a point when the bassinett becomes unsafe if they are too big or can move around too much??? Thanks in advance for your help Smile 
Yummy Mummy
Yummy Mummy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)

Hi Cathy

We kept my daughter in the bassinet until she was just over four months old. That was a stretch admittedly. We had to transition my wee son to a bed to free up the cot, otherwise we perhaps would have done it sooner.

Personally, moving my daughter from the bassinet to the cot was the BEST thing ever!!! The cot was in the next room, and that meant my partner and I got our space back and that was a really great feeling. Made life feel a lot more "Normal". Wink

I think babies just grow out of their bassinet and once they start moving around a bit more, it's probably safer to move them into a cot. I hope this helps.

Cheers
Numskismum
Numskismum
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (246 reputation)Supreme Being (246 reputation)Supreme Being (246 reputation)Supreme Being (246 reputation)Supreme Being (246 reputation)Supreme Being (246 reputation)Supreme Being (246 reputation)Supreme Being (246 reputation)Supreme Being (246 reputation)

Hi.

We kept our first son in his bassinet until he was about 12 weeks old. He was a very big baby, but was happy and snug in there. He was in our room until he was about 3 weeks old. We would have kept him in our room a lot longer, but when he was just over 2 weeks old we were both readmitted to hospital and he was in the special care unit whilst I was in the general maternity ward. Once we got home, the next bedroom didn't seem like such a big distance!

Our second son, although a lot smaller, was moving around too much and at 7 weeks it became apparent that it was unsafe for him in the bassinet (I found him laying on his side with the ribbons and flouncy material from the bassinet in his mouth!). He was put into his own room from the beginning, because I didn't want to have to face the dilemma of transitioning him later on.

Good luck with these decisions. Trust your instincts and do what works for you.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
ricky
ricky
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

I was advised for safety to move the baby out of the bassinet for safety before they started rolling.

However, for ease of settling, I was also told moving them around 6 weeks or sooner is good because they are easier to settle when younger.  Yes they do notice the new room / cot.

Mum to 3 girls, 8 & 11 yrs NT, and 6yrs ASD - the little whirlwind!

priceobrien
priceobrien
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)

We fell in love with having our baby next to us so we kept it going. Once she was too big for the cradle we wiggled some furniture around and brought her cot in next to our bed. She is now in a full sized single bed with a safety rail next to our bed. And her beautifully decorated nursery has been turned into a study! I'm the first to admit this sort of sleeping arrangement is not for everyone, but it is another option if you have room and have the desire to keep your baby beside you.
johnsonandrews5
johnsonandrews5
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (109 reputation)Supreme Being (109 reputation)Supreme Being (109 reputation)Supreme Being (109 reputation)Supreme Being (109 reputation)Supreme Being (109 reputation)Supreme Being (109 reputation)Supreme Being (109 reputation)Supreme Being (109 reputation)

I have found this good having him so close because i can get up to him quickly without him becoming too upset and i can hear him during the night so i know that he is ok. I am just wondering how long people have left babies in the bassinet before moving into a cot.

Edited
13/12/2011 by Moderator
cam
cam
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (326 reputation)Supreme Being (326 reputation)Supreme Being (326 reputation)Supreme Being (326 reputation)Supreme Being (326 reputation)Supreme Being (326 reputation)Supreme Being (326 reputation)Supreme Being (326 reputation)Supreme Being (326 reputation)

12 weeks is not too old. My midwife told me that you move your but from the bassinet to the cot when bub can start to lift themselves up then it is time to move them into the cot. When it is time to move into the cot you can place a baby monitor in the childs room so you can hear bub Smile
ZaineDexter
ZaineDexter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (64 reputation)Forum Guru (64 reputation)Forum Guru (64 reputation)Forum Guru (64 reputation)Forum Guru (64 reputation)Forum Guru (64 reputation)Forum Guru (64 reputation)Forum Guru (64 reputation)Forum Guru (64 reputation)

Hi Cathy,

With my first son, we had him in the cot straight away, but in out room. (I understand your room is too small). We put his cot into his room when he was exactly 3 months old and we never had a problem with him. He is not 15 months and is doing great.

We have an 8 day old baby too and he is in a bassinett in our room as we only have a 2 bedroom house. We chose to have him in with us because with him waking up ever 4 hours we didn't want this to upset our 15month old with all the wake up's in the night. We will wait until he is more settled before we think about putting him into the cot in his big brothers room.

Being your baby's mother you feel the need to be very close to your child, and that is completely normal. With putting your baby in there own room, don't be afraid. It is okay. Baby monitors are great, it makes a mother feel more secure that she can hear her baby is he/she is crying in the night.

Just be mindful with the bassinet, lots of parents have troubles getting there child out of the bassinet. As it is smaller than the cot a baby feels less secure being in such a big bed all alone. Maybe try letting your little one have one nap in the cot each day and slow introduce it. This may possibly help with you feeling more comfortable with leaving your baby in his/her own bedroom..

I hope I have helped you at least a little bit..

Zoe.
dropbear
dropbear
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)Forum Guru (53 reputation)

Hi

I moved my bub into his own room and cot round 2 months as I found I was waking every time he stirred or made a noise. Moving him into his own room and cot made him sleep better and I wasn't waking when he stirred. He sleeps pretty well and I think it makes a difference as he isn't hearing us and if he wakes he can settle again without disturbance. After the first few nights you should find bub sleeping better and nearly through the night (till 5-6am)

Siddharth108
Siddharth108
Forum Member
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)

our Child health care expert advised us to move in to cot straight way. Our baby boy was born in summer and the Bassinet in summer is not a good combination unless if you have good air conditioner at home.

Bassinet blocks the circulation of air which can cause dehydration.
GO