My 5 yr old just diagnosed with Mild Intellectual Disability

My 5 yr old just diagnosed with Mild Intellectual Disability

Author
JeneneM
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi All,

The last few weeks have been a bit of a blur after my 5.5 year old son was diagnosed with IM. 

He was a prem, globally delayed but it wasn't until he started school that his behaviour and learning has become an issue.  He has always seen a speech pathologist and an OT and early this year diagnosed with auditory processing disorder.

Anyway, after a formal diagnosis with a psychologist doing a WIPPSI or whatever it is IQ test, this is what we're facing.  Its part of the puzzle.

School hasn't been easy.  The Counsellor there is of NO help.  I won't even go there - hes burnt out I think.

Anyway I've been googling frantically and my husband and I attended a Family Advocacy workshop last week which was great.  I've also been in touch with the Association for Intellectual Disability. 

I was put in touch with the Department of Ageing, Disability and HOme Care who have a funded Early Diagnosis Childrens team who are coming out to us next week to give us support and put in place things that we need for Matthew. 

Now we know where his tantrums and over reactions come from.

I know Im rambling - sorry, I guess its good tho to write it down and to get it all off my chest.  Hubby is dealing with things his way.

I just need to know Matt is going to be okay.  That we can can get all the support we need for him and make his learning and life happy and full.

All comments, suggestions, like minded people would be appreciated with open arms.

Thanks for reading my rambled thoughts ! Wink

Harriet
Harriet
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Hi JeneneM,

What is IM?

My son is high-functioning autistic (we have a great section of the forum if you scroll down a bit) I'm interested because your description of your son's sequence of diagnosis and school issues is very reminiscent of many children with Autistic spectrum disorders.

Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Edited
09/08/2010 by Harriet
JeneneM
JeneneM
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)Forum Guru (72 reputation)

Hi Harriet,

Thanks for your reply.

IM is a term they use for a diagnosis of Mild Intellectual Disability.  They can only diagnose this through a psychologist or counsellor by doing the Australian Standard IQ test which is how Matthew was diagnosed.

I've read up on austism spectrum disorder and have looked at their checklist but he doesn't seem to fit.

His Paed said there may be other "disorders" that might stick out as he gets older so we'll see if anything comes from that as he matures.

At the moment Im trying to get him all the help he needs for Intellectual Disability as well as his severe expressive language delay and auditory processing problems. 

Has your son just been diagnosed or has it been a while now ?

Jenene

allycat
allycat
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)

Dear Jenene, Welcome to the Forum. My eldest son has an intellectual impairment in addition to being on the autism spectrum. This is just jargon, but in Qld our allied health professionals refer to the anacronyms ID (Intellectual Disability) or II (Intellectual Impairment).

Anyway, my eldest son only just started speaking and attends special school five days per week. He's a very bright boy, takes a while to draw him out, but when he's engaging he's so lovely. And he's an absolute fiend on the xbox and our personal computer.

What we found helps with intellectual impairment is lots of online games to teach life skills, PECS (picture exchange communication system), books, social stories, rhythm and dance, sports and other things.

If you goto this website Visual Aids For Learning http://visualaidsforlearning.com/ you will see lots of great free resources to assist children with learning delays. You will need a laminating machine, laminating pouches, some sticky velcro dots and strips (see Bunnings) and some A4 paper perhaps coloured would be great.

These (free) sites are good too:-

HelpKidzLearn

http://helpkidzlearn.com/

WhizKidGames

http://www.whizkidgames.com/

BBC's Cbeebies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/

If you have any other questions, please ask.

PS For auditory processing problems, the Tomatis method helps and also Sonic Learning's FastForWord programs are great.

http://www.tomatis.com.au/

http://www.fastforwordaustralia.com.au/

And if you click on BabyBumbleBee, if you scroll down to their Free Resources left-hand margin click on 'Free Downloadables' and there's pages of free teaching tools for your child. http://babybumblebee.com/

Mum to DS12yrs, II ASD and DS9yrs, HF.ASD,ADD,GDD.
Edited
10/08/2010 by allycat
Harriet
Harriet
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Hi Jenene,

MY son is nearly nine and was diagnosed at 7 1/2. In the end I had to push for a formal assessment because as he is at the high end of the spectrum, his behaviours were misdiagnosed - which, unfortunately, happens a lot. For some reason children with Aspergers and high-functioning ASD are often not picked up because they don't fit the classic autistic symptoms. Many are quite sociable but have trouble regulating their interaction, and many have reasonably good eye contact. Many are sent for hearing tests and diagnosed with auditory processing problems because they tend to practice selective deafness, which basically means that they don't respond when required. Many also have significant language delays (my son was practically non-verbal before he turned three)

My son was first diagnosed as gifted because he started reading very early - then when he was formally diagnosed he was found to have a low average IQ, so who knows ...He is quite intelligent so I don't know how accurate these things are. I homeschool him and he is going along quite nicely. He is very capable and it really boils down to him having a few quirks.

Anyway, I just wanted to alert you that ASD presentation isn't always what you would expect, especially at the high end of the spectrum.

Good luck with whatever you do Smile

Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Edited
10/08/2010 by Harriet
ricky
ricky
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)

Hi Jenene, welcome to the site.  I am usually on the other forum for children with autism.  My girl is also intellectually delayed and has mild autism.   The autism was very hard to diagnose as she was very friendly & mild.  I had real problems in dealing with the professionals in this area.

I'm guessing that your in NSW and your son is attending a mainstream school.  That would be tough indeed.  If he has lack of speech then this would lead to social and behavioural problems in a mainstream environment.  I hope ADHC can help you.  I have just had behaviour management support over the last 6 months and am now receiving OT and ST from them.  They are quite good once you get the help.

Where are you at with it all?  Your probably still in the whirl wind stage of it.  Does your sons intellectual delay qualify him for carers allowance or a placement in a support unit school?   I felt awful when professionals first labelled my child with "intellectual ability".  I was horrified.  I guess things have got better.  Since the early days I have changed speech therapists and she is doing much better in this regard.

I hope things begin to fall into place for you soon & you are able to find the best possible services for your son.

Mum to 3 girls, 8 & 11 yrs NT, and 6yrs ASD - the little whirlwind!

zmum
zmum
Forum Member
Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)

Hi there

I just read your post and feel for you. Its full on when you realise things aren't quite right with your beloved baby.  I am just starting off the diagnotic process with my gorgeous 21/2 yr old and its been challenging to say the least ... but god what they teach you in return is magnificient.

I just wanted to mention to you have you ever tried alternative therapy ... I began kineseology with my son this year but it has a very special neurological component to it.  He has had amazing results so if you could find a practitioner with this rare skill it could help with tantrums and also resetting his brain to help his body out.  He used to walk on his toes and bite his nails alot also and that has signficiantly decreased as well as now he is pointing in books an waving goodbye all in the last four months.

Keep your chin up ... parents who have children like ours are the lucky ones because they actually contain the most beautiful talents inside themselves .. its just our job to unlock them

dsmum
dsmum
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (50 reputation)Forum Guru (50 reputation)Forum Guru (50 reputation)Forum Guru (50 reputation)Forum Guru (50 reputation)Forum Guru (50 reputation)Forum Guru (50 reputation)Forum Guru (50 reputation)Forum Guru (50 reputation)

Hi JeneneM,

I'm a mum with a son who has Down Syndrome which comes with I.I. (mild) and after his diagnosis at birth I talked to the head of a Child Development Centre who then referred me to a counsellor nearby which was a godsend. I needed to talk all the issues out on a regular basis so that I could cope, she also helped me cope with the anxiety I experiences as a result. If this sounds good, your G.P. is another person to turn as they can refer you to a Psych/Counsellor also. If cost is an issue there is a govt scheme that will provide 5 free sessions (my husband utilised this service). If you are O.K. then Mathew will be O.K.

You are obviously a good Mum who needs good help for your son. I've been lucky to have found 2 great schools for my son (we moved district) who is now in grade one. They have great programs and T.Aides to help him. If you think your school is letting you down don't hesitate to change as sending your child to a good school can be a load off your mind.

Hang in there, I remember that time well. Things get a lot better with a bit of time and although it may seem like the end of the world it's not! I used to spend time with my son when I was down and he would make me feel great again. I'm sure this is also the case with your beautiful boy.

dsmum
Kandisi
Kandisi
Forum Member
Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)

Hi there, I know this post was a very long time ago however it's like you were talking about my son! Mild ID WPPSI of 66 mostly due to severe language issues. No ASD or Autism. Behavioural issues due to immaturity with communication etc. 6 years on just wondering how you guys are doing?
GO