Brain Mapping

Brain Mapping

Author
ricky
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Has anyone actually heard of brain mapping?  It's been shown a few times on the Dr Phil show & more research is being made into the world of ADHD & learning difficulties etc using this. 

Has anyone actually had this done with their child?  Alternatively does anyone know if this can be done for their child in Australia or is it still only available in America?

Mum to 3 girls, 8 & 11 yrs NT, and 6yrs ASD - the little whirlwind!

zeeta 27
zeeta 27
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)

I am also interested in this as I recently saw something with brain mapping and I was wondering and spoke to my DH about how it would be interesting to have this for our 2 children.  This was at a time just recently when our child was struggling in an autism specific school and some 'professionals' not his teachers said that he should mainstream because they 'know how little boys work and this is not the place for any little boy'.  I was wild with this.  I later in my debriefing with DH, spoke about brain mapping. 

I bet it would cost a fortune if in fact it is available in Aust.

Zeeta 27 NSW

allycat
allycat
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

This makes me think of Norman Doidge's book "The brain that changes itself". This is his website http://www.normandoidge.com/normandoidge/MAIN.html click on EXCERPT up the top to read a little about his book.

And also Fast ForWord Australia (Sonic Learning) may have something on brain mapping. http://www.fastforwordaustralia.com.au/

Mum to DS12yrs, II ASD and DS9yrs, HF.ASD,ADD,GDD.
sozi
sozi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)

Hi,

Yes I've been doing some research on this too, there's a great book out there called "The Brain that Changes Itself" very interesting read from pioneers in Neuroplasticity.

Try this website: http://www.brainfitnessforkids.com.au/index.html

Edited
12/07/2010 by sozi
sozi
sozi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)Forum Guru (68 reputation)

oops sorry allycat our responses are almost identical, should have read your reply first! Smile
ricky
ricky
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Brain mapping is available in Australia - have been doing some googling & reading volumes of info - hate reading & research mostly though.

There is a place at Gordon, Sydney that does it.  No idea of the cost & if I want to travel that far.

There has been some studies into brain mapping conducted by the universtiy of NSW and they have been looking at ADHD.  For those who watch the Dr Phil show you would have already seen the pictures of these type of brain mapping.  They know there is a difference between the functioning of "normal" brains & those of ADHD.  After treating an ADHD patient with drugs they repeat the brain mapping again & have shown the brain functioning then more resembles the "normal" brain.

Love to find out the cost - that's for sure.

And yes - the book "The brain that changes itself" is well talked about.  Has anyone read this book?  I'm not a keen reader but if you have read it, what's your opinion?

Mum to 3 girls, 8 & 11 yrs NT, and 6yrs ASD - the little whirlwind!

jasntan
jasntan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

Ricky,

I have actually read the book, some chapters i skipped cause i just wasn't interested in that section.  Most of it though is just amazing.  I got alot of confidence out of the book as it talks about how the brain can remap to correct issues - disabilites like strokes. 

I found it very interesting that they say instead of hiring a tutor to help with maths that instead we should teach patterns and different languages because the brain works on patterns and the maths will just happen if the patterns are being understood.

I enjoyed it.

Tan - QLD

DD 8yrs -NT,

DS 6yrs -PDD-NOS, P-ACC, Epilepsy - My handsome baby boy! Tongue

maidenminx
maidenminx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

Wouldn't it be great to find a maths tutor that understood that and taught on that basis??

Steph

mum to DS born 09/04, dx'd GDD 10/07, dx'd ASD 11/08

wife to wonderful DH, together since 06/03, married 06/11
sozi
sozi
Forum Guru

Yes, I was given the book and have found it really interesting. If you're not into reading I recently saw the doco on SBS (with the same cases as in the book), I'm sure if you Google it you will find links to the doco so you can watch it online.
Cougar
Cougar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (829 reputation)Supreme Being (829 reputation)Supreme Being (829 reputation)Supreme Being (829 reputation)Supreme Being (829 reputation)Supreme Being (829 reputation)Supreme Being (829 reputation)Supreme Being (829 reputation)Supreme Being (829 reputation)

Brain Mapping is also done at a developmental clinic in Doncaster Vic..

We did it years ago with my ADHD DS and it was so hard to get him to leave all the wires on lol..

but helped us to understand what was going on inside his head..not sure if DS with ASD would let the cap and wires be touching him...

Lin

GO