Orthodontics - No Brace Centre

Orthodontics - No Brace Centre

Author
nzchiefs
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (76 reputation)Supreme Being (76 reputation)Supreme Being (76 reputation)Supreme Being (76 reputation)Supreme Being (76 reputation)Supreme Being (76 reputation)Supreme Being (76 reputation)Supreme Being (76 reputation)Supreme Being (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
My 5 year old daughter is a thumb sucker and in addition she has a narrow mouth and hence we were expecting to have some orthodonitic work required for her when she was older. On the advise of a friend I took her for a consultantation at the No Brace Centre in Melbourne. They took X-Rays (to see where the adult teeth were) and basically said that we had too options - either go through their method (ie plates to expand the jaw etc) or otherwise the traditional method and she would probably need extractions and braces once her adult teeth came in.

I am quite keen on the no brace (and no extraction) method, however would like some feed back with whether 5 is too young for a plate. Also any comments (position or negative) about the no brace method would be appreciated. 

voiletmay
voiletmay
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (310 reputation)Supreme Being (310 reputation)Supreme Being (310 reputation)Supreme Being (310 reputation)Supreme Being (310 reputation)Supreme Being (310 reputation)Supreme Being (310 reputation)Supreme Being (310 reputation)Supreme Being (310 reputation)

Sorry, but they are lying to you. There are a LOT more options for braces without extractions nowdays. In the olden days you needed to have extractions, but not anymore.

My 14 year old daughter was fitted with damon braces at the beginning of the year, as was one of her schoolfriends a few months later. These are a normal looking sort of wire braces, but they work in a different way, and require no extractions in most cases for very crowded teeth (both my daughter and her friend had severe crowding problems). Damon braces don't cost anymore than regular braces. They are just a different type. The damon braces expand the jaw so making more room so the teeth fit in properly without extractions. There are heaps of types of different braces, not only the sort that need extractions. I'd get a whole lot more opionions before I did anything.

If your daugther is only 5, I would wait. Gee wiz, that is the last of your problems at 5. Wait for highschool atleast.

There are other no brace options available for children and I researched these before deciding on the damon braces, but I know how unreliable my daughter would be at using a daily plate (there are even some that you only wear at night). The braces are stuck to her teeth, so they have to work. I just didn't think she would be reliable enough to use the plate daily. My daughter is a straight A student, a good kid, but she has a little pain tolerance. With the amount of pain that she has been in with the braces she has, there is no way, she would have kept a plate in her mouth (ie. something removable). I think having it stuck to her teeth is the best option, if I am paying that much money $5200 or so I think, then I want it to work.

I know it works for some children, I just didnt think it would work for my sensible 14 year old girl, so Idoubt a 5 year old could cope with with it.

No self respecting orthodontist would do an extraction nowdays (teeth would have to be very severe). If you go to one and they recommend extractions, get out of there ASAP and see someone else.

The best type of othodontist to go to is the type that sells a whole variety of different sort of braces (including the no brace types) and see what he/she recommeneds for your childs teeth. That is how it works at our orthondisit, they must use/sell 15 or more types of braces. I know that our particular orthodontist will not fit braces until a child naturally loses all the baby teeth. There are orthodonists that like to pull out baby teeth so they can fit braces sooner, so watch out for them too.
Edited
10/09/2010 by voiletmay
otwaylife
otwaylife
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)

Earlier this year I took my 11 yr old daughter and 7 year old son to the no brace centre in Melbourne for a second opinion as my 11 year old daughter had been told by an orthodontist that she would need braces and extractions. The whole idea of the No Brace Centre appealed to me. My 9 year old neice had begun treatment and it all sounded so good I had checked out the website and watched the 60 minutes interview etc. I had braces as a child because of overcrowding with lots of extractions. My face is narrow and I have been led to believe it is because of extractions. I was hoping my children wouldn't inherit my dental problems. I went to the no brace centre with an open mind and a possitive attitude.

My children had a lot of amazing x-rays taken at the no brace centre. Dr. Ari Masters talked to us for about 10 minutes. He told me that both of my children would need baby teeth extracted to make way for the adult teeth as they both had overcrowding. He also told me that both of my children were tongue tied which meant their tongue wasn't sitting in the roof of their mouths properly and that on the next visit he would cut their frenulum (the skin under the tongue.) Dr. Masters talked a lot about how disgraceful it is that so many orthodontists extract adult teeth and that it is a form of abuse. Dr. Masters told me that my teeth were still crooked and I should also have the treatment. My daughters treatment would cost $8000 because I took at a late age and my son would cost $7000. He would send me a referal to take to the dentist to tell them what baby teeth to take out.

My mother a retired nurse was horrified when I told her about the frenectomy which forced me to research the issue further. I found that my children are not tongue tied at all and that a frenectomy is a serious procedure.

When the letter of referal for the dentist came it didn't mention anything about the extraction of baby teeth for my daughter so I rang to quiery it. They wouldn't let me speak to Dr. Masters and just said that whatever is written is what is to be done.

When I took my son to the dentist and gave her the referral letter she said legally she cannot remove a tooth on referal from another dentist only an orthodontist and Dr. Masters is not an orthodontist. She said the tooth he was asking to be removed was actually an adult tooth and not the 6 year old molors he told me was to be removed. My dentist and myself tried calling the no brace centre for a week to clear the issue and were unable to get through to anyone. When I did finally get through I was told that the dental nurse who was in on the day would call me back because Dr. Masters is always too busy to take calls. The dental nurse never rang me back even after me calling a second time.

I am definately not going the no brace centre way. Dr. Masters accuses orthodontists of abuse when he was going to cut my childrens frenulum when they are not even tongue tied and requested an adult tooth be pulled on a 7 year old. It was obviousluy a mistake but thankfully my dentist was aware of this.

My advise is research as much as you can talk to people about their experiences. What's right for one isn't always right for another.

My neice is still having the treatment and is wearing the myo brace at night. It is to be worn while sleeping and it kept falling out. My sister was told to tape her childs mouth shut over night so that it wouldn't fall out. How horrible for both mother and child.

christinemasters@bigpond.c...
christinemasters@bigpond.com
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)Supreme Being (75 reputation)

I say that the person at the bottom of this page (lizzy) is connected to an Orthodontist, maybe his receptionist or family member. Notice how the few critics of Nobrace have NOT actually had treatment there? Thats because if they did, they would be HAPPY and understand the reality of what goes on there. In relation to the case against Dr Masters, the tunnel visioned greedy orthodontists have ensured that the media got a hold of it. What about the clinical errors that orthodontists make.. or the damage they cause to children's jaw joint when they extract teeth unnecessarily? In the states orthodontists and dentists that remove teeth have been sued for this. Its only a matter of time before it happens here.

The bottom line is that whilst orthodontists are protected by the "boys club" Dr Masters is being subjected to an ambush. The irony is that the more they try to bury him the taller he rises. He has thousands of new patients every year that all experience his wonderful expansion techniques that fit all the teeth without extraction, giving kids the best smile with the least problems later in life

Jump on their website nobraces.com.au and watch the 60 minutes report.. its incredible that they got it so right in their reporting.

Edited
30/01/2012 by christinemasters@bigpond.com
cjrz00
cjrz00
Supreme Being

I was sad to read some of the post for the nobrace centre! I find it amazing that parents are willing to write negative comments with very little medical knowledge and not much personal experience.

I have 2 children and my oldest boy missed the chance of early treatment because I was told by the 2 orthodontists that I went to that I needed to wait until he was 12-13 yrs before starting to correct his problems. I did what was recommended and will regret this decision always. Both my children have the misfortune of having bite alignment issues...this runs in the family and my mum and brothers have severe underbites that they hate. I have since learnt from my mum that she did indeed think about doing something about it which involved major surgery and decided it was not worth the risks and pain.

Recently I took my oldest boy back to the orthodontists at 10 years old I was told that he would need adult teeth removed and then definate surgery when is older...can you imagine my distress!! I then began the search for alternatives and found Dr Masters and his staff.

I took my youngest boy in for a consultation with the nobrace centre...i am so happy that i did. I found out that his bite condition is the hardest thing to treat and correct and to avoid surgery my boy would need to start early.....i will not bore you with the details but 1 year later and my boy is no longer in crossbite and his upper teeth are much further forward than his lower. I have been informed about the process, how hard it will be and the years ahead...but guess what?.. He is very likely to be finished by the time he is 12-13 and a very good chance he will have a correct bite and a very low chance of needing surgery on his jaw. 

My 5 year old is doing so well...wears his plate and no concerns with travelling to Melbourne every 2nd month...worth every moment of my time and effort. (so in answer to the mum at the start of the forum...is 5 too young to start with a plate. It really depends on your child and the how much work is to be done. I believe that you can go on the nobrace recommendation as they did actually say that if my boy didn't have the bite issue that the average age to start is around 7-8yrs)

Finally...my 10 year old is going to start treatment too...I have been advised that he will NOT need adult teeth removed to make space for a big smile - the main difference being that the bite correction will be hard and possible that he may still have a less than ideal bite - but will have a straight and big smile without having to have teeth removed! The nobrace centre does have a small number of children that need braces during the final stages of treatment and I am fine with that as I know how hard it is to correct his bite and he is getting older.

I am hopeful that I might be lucky and because he appears to be a little behind on his teeth development, so the nobrace centre might just be able to acheive what NO one else was willing to attempt or even discuss. NON EXTRACTION treatment and AVOIDING FUTURE SURGERY! I don't have any thing to loose as I was only going to wait around another 2yrs doing nothing waiting for the orthodontists to start.

Since all this happened I looked into why Australian orthodontists tell us to wait until teen (no very logical when I hear that the teen years are hell) and since found out that many countries around the world actually deal with correcting teeth concerns whilst children are young and still have baby teeth.

Good on you Dr Masters and your team for being a step ahead of the rest...I will walk with you all the way.

Happy and grateful mummy of 2 good looking boys! (Cannot tell you how jealous Grandma is!!) 

Kerrie7
Kerrie7
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)

As an adult patient of The Nobrace Centre almost 10 years ago with fantastic results and great memories, I have taken my two boys 7 and 5 yrs old for a consultation at The Nobrace Centre.

With the knowledge I gained during my treatment there, I only want whats best for my boys.

Prior to going to the Nobrace Centre I was seeing an Orthodontist who basically waisted 3 yrs of my time doing other things such as crowns, filling and not addressing the reason I went to him in the first place - Straight teeth. After a few thousand dollars later he told me that I would need 4 extractions due to my crowding and braces upper and lower for 2-3 years and another $6000. Thank you very much and I never went back. I asked around people that were in the dental industry and was recommended Dr Ari Masters, who doesn't extract teeth. After a consultation with Dr Masters I didn't hesitate to start treatment at The Nobrace Centre, which consisted of upper and lower removable plates for 12 months and then braces for a further 6 months and NO EXTRACTIONS.

There is not a day that goes by that I don't thank the Nobrace Centre for my fantastic smile and the confidence that I gained. So now as a mother of two young boys, I don't want to wait till there teenagers to do something about their teeth.

So last month we went along to the Nobrace Centre, where we were welcomed by their friendly team, first my boys had these fantastic 3d images, which were then explained in detail by Dr Masters in our almost 2 hr consultation. I was given options, which is something every mother should be given. It was very evident that both my boys had crowding and bite issues from seeing these xrays. Compliance is an issue with my younger one, but atleast I know what is going on and will assess his compliance in 6-12 months and then start treatment for him. As for the older one, we will not waist time and start treatment in these school holidays. The treatment is non-invasive and most importantly NO EXTRACTIONS. The fees are reasonable considering we have a few years to pay them off.

I say don't hesitate to go for a consultation, 5 yr old is not young atleast you can plan ahead rather that wait till she is 13 yrs old and going through her teenage years wearing braces or having extractions.

Thank you to all the Staff at The Nobrace Centre for making my boys first time at a dentist and fun and happy experience. They loved the Kids CAVE....

Kerrie7
Kerrie7
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)Supreme Being (136 reputation)

I also had the Damon system braces, but with severe crowding they were not able to expand my arches to fit all my teeth in with just the braces. So I had expansion first and then braces for 6 months at The Nobrace Centre.

Your 14 yr old daughter is probably going to be in her braces for 18 months to 2 years during those important teenage years, when you could have started a lot earlier. Have you asked your daughter if she wants to be in braces for a few years?

The Nobrace Centre is not lying, its the Orthodontist who keep saying wait and see, wait and see when they know that your child has crowding issues but cannot do anything because they can't.

Don't waist time go and have a consultation at the Nobrace Centre and then you can make up our mind on which way you want your child to go through....wait for braces and possible extractions at 13 or have a broad beautiful smile by the age of 13....AND NO EXTRACTIONS.
pipper12
pipper12
Supreme Being

Hi,

I have one very important thing to say YOU WILL REGRET NOT TAKING YOUR CHILD TO THE NO BRACE CENTRE!! My daughter was 5 when she first started at the No Brace Centre. After having seen 6 Orthodontists, yes 6!!! I stared looking for early treatment for my daughter as I was concerned with her narrow, over crowded mouth. Her mouth was just like mine when I was a child. All 6 Orthodontists said bring her back when she has all her adult teeth about age 12 to 13 and then she will need between 4 to 6 teeth extracted and then braces. I asked with desperation could there be treatment for her now to avoid extractions and braces. The answers were were all the same. "No child can be treated with baby teeth and can only be treated with all their adult teeth." After my 6th appointment I left feeling sick in the stomach, to be told there was no way that my daughter could avoid having the same treatment as I had as a child, "EXTRACTIONS & BRACES". This treatment left me with straight teeth. But the the over all CONSEQUENCES have been HORRIBLE. 4 healthy teeth removed, a collapse of facial support ending with a narrower looking face, no top lip support, TMJ pain constantly (Jaw joint pain). My teeth relapsed so I have to wear a retainer for the rest of my life to keep my teeth in position or they will go crooked again.

Now that is abuse from the Orthodontist that treated me as far as I am concerned. I was robbed of my teeth and given a weird looking face with constant pain!!! I WAS ABUSED!!!!! And I am not happy about it. There was no way I was going to put my daughter through the same. I told her she would be better off to have crooked teeth then to go through what I have been through.

Then I was sent a blessing which happened at my nieces birthday party. My niece's new friend was about to eat her lunch when I noticed her remove a device from her mouth. I asked her what it was. And her answer was like I was told I just won first prize lottery! AN EXPANSION PLATE. She then went on to tell me she went to The No Brace Centre where lots of kids go to avoid having there teeth pulled out!! I couldn't make my daughters appointment quick enough. The day of her consultation we had no second thoughts and started treatment on the day. There was no fuss for her to wear the plate at age of 5. She loved it as the plate got made in her football team colours and was easy for her to wear. When she first started wearing the Myobrace though it did fall out over night due to her not breathing correctly. We were advised to tape her mouth. It wasn't like gagging her or abuse, as it is a Buteyko breathing Technique, visit www.buteyko.info or www.buteykoairways.com. This technique helps you breathe through your nostrils properly. Once the habit was established then there was no more tape and the Myobrace stayed in all night. And my daughter also slept much better with better breathing.This has not been a horrible experience at all for my daughter. She loves going to The No Brace Centre as Dr Masters is an amazing Dentist along with his amazing staff. He is obviously the envy of other Dentists and Orthodontists. I can see way there is so much controversy around this treatment as the Orthodontists don't want you to know about it as they know it works and for it to work it is a threat to them. They need to move with the times. If you don't move with the times you get so left behind.

I have referred 10 other family's to the No Brace Centre and they are all happy with their children's progress and treatment. I am a Primary School Principle and I will endeavour to influence all the family's that attend my school to visit the No Brace Centre. I have total trust in there techniques and approaches. They have my total support always.

We love you No Brace.

Mrs Pipper Hamilton & Penelope Hamilton

Edited
25/03/2011 by pipper12
chez180
chez180
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)Supreme Being (87 reputation)

Please listen to our story before making any negative opinions about NO BRACE.  My daughter is now 15.   Her teeth had a bite that had everything wrong with it, crowding, over bite, receeding chin, narrow arches, high upper pallet, you name it she seemed to have it.   She started at a regular well known Othodontist at aged 11.   She had to endure having a huge, chunky upper and lower twin block plate system in her mouth 24 hrs a day and sleep at night with head gear also attached.   At school she constantly dribbled, couldn't ever speak properly and when she closed her mouth she looked like she had a mouth full of something.   She endured headaches at night, constant pain and ear ache from wearing the head gear.   She persevered for six months and eventually said "no more".   I also felt the treatment was cruel. The orthodontist then wanted to put a permanent metal contraption in her mouth which permanently pulled her lower jaw forward and expanded her upper pallet while all the time being a mouth full of metal with metal things that went from top jaw to bottom jaw permanetly.   Failing this she could come back at 15 and they would break her jaw, lots of people do it and it was no big deal they said!    I found this whole thing horrific.

I then took her to another orthodontist who wanted to do extractions, put on braces and in 2 years time she would have straight teeth.   I then enquired about her facial profile as I had the exact same thing done when I was a teenager and now I have a narrow jaw, and a flattened lower face.    He saw no problem with taking out the teeth and said it would not make any difference.   Lots of his patients now have the same shaped mouth as me.   I then went to another othodontist who said obviously she was not mature enough to be able to deal with any sort of treatment and wouldn't touch her.    I felt we were running out of options. 

My eldest son then heard an advertisement on the radio for No Brace and we went along for an opinion.   At this stage she was 13 and desparate to fix her teeth.   We had the head scans done and could easily see that her jaw was partially pulled out of the socket on one side, no wonder the head gear had caused her so much pain.  We were  told by NO BRACE she would have 5 sets of plates (upper and lower) and then have to have 6 months of braces as she is starting much older and these would just finish it off.  They also made it clear to it had to be her decision and to give it a lot of thought as it would be difficult for her at times (even though she has said it was easy).

My daughter totally chose to go the way of NO BRACE and the treatment started.   The first twin block plates were much, much smaller than the previous ones she had had to endure.   She had no pain with them and turned the expansion a little bit each day.   She could also talk so well that I didn't know whether she had them in or out, but of course they were always in.   After her very first orthodontic treatment she found these NO BRACE plates so so very easy.  She also had the myobrace in between plates for 3 months.   Now after 2 years she got upper braces on 5 week ago.   Her lowers have only just gone on this week.   She has already had people asking when is she getting her upper braces off because her teeth look so good!   She now has a big round smile of straight teeth and she has also commented that she can breath so much better!  

For us NO BRACE was an absolute saviour for my daughter.   They have treated her with the utmost care and have  always taken into account the fact that she was a teenager and at a time when appearance seems to be everything.   They even went out of their way to make the plates as invisible as possible for her.  They were always kind, supportive and very caring.   Some students at her school didn't even know she had plates. She now smiles happily, even with her braces on, whereas before she was so self conscious.    I so wish I had known of the NO BRACE centre when she was 6 or 7 and cannot recommend enough that people go to NO BRACE for an opinion with their children at an earlier age.  If my daughter had gone to them earlier on she wouldn't have had to put up with terribly crooked teeth into her teens and all the stress it caused her.  Without NO BRACE  I don't know where we would have been.   She was a difficult case and even though she still has another 5 months or so of braces, her teeth look absolutely fantastic now!

Edited
31/03/2011 by chez180
lizzy89
lizzy89
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)Supreme Being (79 reputation)

This may be of interest, or assist you with the decision making process: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/no-brace-dentist-fined-25000-20110105-19g91.html.

It perplexes me that people would do their research on his 'No brace' website yet fail to acknowledge his previous unprofessional conduct of a serious nature, which lead to him being reprimanded. Making an informed and educated decision is always crucial in matters such as these.
GO