Child with ASD (Austim Spectrum Disorder)

Child with ASD (Austim Spectrum Disorder)

Author
debs1966
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)Supreme Being (113 reputation)

Group: Forum Members

My son has recently been diagnosed with having ASD here in the UK he his presently 6 years old and attends normal mainstream school where the Education Authority fund for him to have a Teaching Assistant for 15 hours a week and this dramatically impacted on his life in school since the TA has been working with him.

My partner and I are have our permanent 136 visa which we have had over 3 years and when applying for the visa we weren't aware of my son Kian's condition.  As you can appreciate we still want to fulfill our dream of coming out to live in Perth hopefully by the end of this year.

I wondered please if anybody can kindly advise me as to the situation for children with ASD and are there any schools worth contacting before our arrival it is more important to choose the right school for Kian ultimately before looking for the suburb to live in.

As you can appreciate we want to make the transition from life in UK to Australia as smoothly as possible.

Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated ie. websites to look at, contact names and numbers etc.

Many thanksSmile

Debbie

Lancaster, UK

danabi
danabi
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

I live in Victoria, so can't help you with the Perth side.  I do suggest you contact Autism Australia and get some suggestions from them.  Good luck with your move.

Carolyn

Mum to DS Aspie (5) and DD NT (3)

SSAmbitious
SSAmbitious
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (500 reputation)Supreme Being (500 reputation)Supreme Being (500 reputation)Supreme Being (500 reputation)Supreme Being (500 reputation)Supreme Being (500 reputation)Supreme Being (500 reputation)Supreme Being (500 reputation)Supreme Being (500 reputation)

I live in QLD so cant help too much with the perth side of things either.

Some schools will only allow entry for conditions beyond a certain severity. It may be worth looking into what/ if any difference there are between Aus and UK in regard to rating the effect of autism.

Autism Association of Western Australia will be able to help +61 8 9489 8900

http://www.autism.org.au/

allycat
allycat
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)

It's my opinion that children with Autism Spectrum Disorders do well in either Autism specific schools (we need more of these) or in mainstream schools with support from Special Education Unit teachers. TA's (Teacher Aides) are also available here.

It is adviseable once you narrow down the selection of schools that you wish your child to attend, to find out if the school has an Autism Coding (has teachers that are experienced with children on the spectrum). Talk to the Principal of the school / email them.

Generally, a child with ASD cannot attend special school unless they meet the full eligibility criteria, one of which is that they must have an II (Intellectual Impairment) in addition to the neurological disorder of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Our eldest son attends our local special school as he has an II and is only just starting to communicate verbally but is way behind his mainstream counterparts.

Best wishes.

Mum to DS12yrs, II ASD and DS9yrs, HF.ASD,ADD,GDD.
ricky
ricky
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)Supreme Being (6.5K reputation)

Hi Debbie,

There is a forum further down the list for parents with ASD.  In this forum there is mention of a few WA schools etc.  Use the search to find the topics that discus schooling.

I'm in NSW so I can't advise you, but hope it all goes well.

Smile

Mum to 3 girls, 8 & 11 yrs NT, and 6yrs ASD - the little whirlwind!

lmeyer
lmeyer
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)Supreme Being (106 reputation)

Hello,

Im doing my HSC major work my topic is "the emotional and social effect of a disability on the family" if any of you forum members feel comfortable answering a few interview question please do so and send them via email to luci-meyer@hotmail.com.

Questions

1.      Firstly what type of disability does your family member have. 

2.      Do you find as a parent/sibling having a disability within the family restricts you socially. In what ways? For example do you find it hard to go out to dinner as a family?

3.      How have you tried to overcome these problems so the family is not restricted socially? 

4.      How does being a parent/ sibling of a disabled member of the family effect you emotionally

5.      How have you tried to overcome the family being affected emotionally by the disability? 

6.      Are you aware of any support networks available to help the family cope emotionally?

7.      Are you aware of any support networks available to help the family cope socially?

Thank you.

Lucy Meyer

Vicky03
Vicky03
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)Supreme Being (97 reputation)

Hi there

I live in perth and I have a son with aspergers .hes in mainstream school with teacher aide. He's doing ok with help and I'm also checking out high schools for him. I heard duncraig senior high has specialty teachers and they have abt 20 asd kids there. Might be worth checking that out. How old is ur son now

shant
shant
Forum Member
Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)

Dear all,

I am also in a similar position where 4 year old my son is diagnosed with Autism and i have PR visa and planning to move to Adelaide in Feb 2017. He is currently having ABA, OT and speech therapy, however i really don't know where to start from when i move to Adelaide. Should i start with special centers but what about funding? Should i first go to NDIS but how much time will they take before they provide any funds. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aamir

Ella Fernando
Ella Fernando
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (123 reputation)Supreme Being (123 reputation)Supreme Being (123 reputation)Supreme Being (123 reputation)Supreme Being (123 reputation)Supreme Being (123 reputation)Supreme Being (123 reputation)Supreme Being (123 reputation)Supreme Being (123 reputation)

shant - 29/12/2016
Dear all,

I am also in a similar position where 4 year old my son is diagnosed with Autism and i have PR visa and planning to move to Adelaide in Feb 2017. He is currently having ABA, OT and speech therapy, however i really don't know where to start from when i move to Adelaide. Should i start with special centers but what about funding? Should i first go to NDIS but how much time will they take before they provide any funds. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aamir

Hello shant,

Autism spectrum disorder is a developmental disorder characterized by difficulties in social interaction and communication and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behaviour.
Early diagnosis is important, because early treatment can make a big difference.

[link removed and post updated by Moderator]
Edited
20/04/2017 by Moderator
GO