Soft or hard sole shoes

Soft or hard sole shoes

Author
trees8
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
My little man is almost one and is starting to walk now. As it has been quite warm, we haven't bothered too much with shoes. We also didn't bother because we thought that as he is learning to walk, he should do it without shoes.

Now that it is starting to get colder and he is starting to walk outside more, we will be putting shoes on him. I thought that while he is still learning to walk properly, we should put soft soled shoes him and once he is walking confidently, we will put hard soled shoes on him.

Does anyone have any info on this as I have been told by some people to do what I have just said but then have been told that he should be wearing hard soled shoes now.

The other dilemma is making him keep them on Tongue

Thanks.
LukiesMum+1
LukiesMum+1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

Hi, I've just bought some shoes for my new walker.  I chose the soft sole ones as I believe they are easier to walk in.  I've seen new walkers with hard soled shoes and they just can't walk!!  Once he is confident on his feet I won't be worried so much about what he wears.  My boy loves his new shoes and will bring them to me to put on his feet Tongue
Sky's mum
Sky's mum
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

I've read a bit on this subject, mostly to disprove the rantings of my controlling mother in law who thinks babies should wear 'proper' shoes. Not sure what those are, and does it mean there are 'improper' shoes but the majority of experts seem to think that while a child is learning to walk, no shoes at all is the best. This helps them learn balance but if they're in thick soled shoes they also have to learn how to balance in those and this can be confusing early on. Until they're confident walkers, I have read that soft sole shoes are best.
Yummy Mummy
Yummy Mummy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)

We didn't bother with shoes, partly because it was Summer, but also because my Mum told me that kids don't need shoes until they are over one year old because they develop better balance with bare feet.

He's now 13 months old and has been walking for three months, and last week we bought him his first two pairs, some sneakers and some gumboots. He walks remarkably well in the sneakers, and not too bad in the gummys although they are quite heavy. But he loves them.

Just for discussion/information (or whatever Smile )My neighbour gave us a whole heap of their son's shoes that no longer fit him. I thought this was great, but my Mum also said that you shouldn't put your child in used shoes because they all have different foot prints. She gave me the example of how uncomfortable it is for an adult to wear someone else's shoes, therefore it's no different for a baby. Food for thought anyway. I gave the shoes away!!
trees8
trees8
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)Supreme Being (249 reputation)

I had the same thoughts about no shoes until he learns to walk as they find their balance better. Lucky for me the weather has been warm.

He is walking well now but still not perfect as he is still finding his balance some of the time. I don't feel comfortable in putting him in hard shoes just yet. I think I'll wait until I'm confident that he is balancing without any problems. I think I'll get soft shoes for now, just when he is outside.

Thanks for your replies.

Interesting about the used shoes. I never would have thought of that!
twhit116
twhit116
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (225 reputation)Supreme Being (225 reputation)Supreme Being (225 reputation)Supreme Being (225 reputation)Supreme Being (225 reputation)Supreme Being (225 reputation)Supreme Being (225 reputation)Supreme Being (225 reputation)Supreme Being (225 reputation)

Hi

I don't know if this will help. When my son started to walk I got him elastic top crocs. They seemed to be fine. And they last. Unfortunately they can be expensive. And they may not be suitable for cold weather (you can always put socks on). They are great for wet weather and the beach. I he has now grown 2 sizes and I am still buying them. They have kept so well thet my 7 month old will be able to wear them when he is ready.

twhit116
Kimliska
Kimliska
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)

trees8 - 05/04/2009
My little man is almost one and is starting to walk now. As it has been quite warm, we haven't bothered too much with shoes. We also didn't bother because we thought that as he is learning to walk, he should do it without shoes.
Now that it is starting to get colder and he is starting to walk outside more, we will be putting shoes on him. I thought that while he is still learning to walk properly, we should put soft soled shoes him and once he is walking confidently, we will put hard soled shoes on him.
Does anyone have any info on this as I have been told by some people to do what I have just said but then have been told that he should be wearing hard soled shoes now.

The other dilemma is making him keep them on Tongue

Thanks.

Hi! Agree with the posts where they talk about barefoot is best until children are established walkers. If shoes are required, the best shoes are suede soft soles, which are the closest you can get to barefoot. You need good quality ones that will support the child's feet, and also stay on. The very best quality shoes I've found and used for all three of my children are a Canadian-originated brand called Robeez. They offer good support, are approved by the American Podiatric Association, are easy to get on and stay on (they can't easily kick them off and lose them in the pram!), and they are also really cute!

[link removed by Moderator]
Edited
11/09/2017 by Moderator
GO